140 pounds lost and feeling great - long post

NewMe2.0
on 5/16/15 6:14 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

You have done a great job, and look amazing.  Congratulations.

• Referral:  Feb 2013/ Guelph  
  • RNY May 20th 2014 (Dr. Bhojani)                                                                         
  • 2nd RNY (revision due to marginal ulcers) Aug. 10th 2015 ( Dr. Bhojani)  
  • Revision to VSG (marginal ulcers): March 22nd 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)
  • Total Gastrectomy:  Dec. 15th 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)

m1randa55
on 5/16/15 9:31 am - Brantford, Canada

Thanks all for your very kind and encouraging words. I really appreciate them and you! My BMI is currently 23.4 so I'm now normal..lol..well, at least my BMI is :-)

Just a quick word for those of you who have the challenges of emotional health issues, as I do. When I went to my pre-op appointments I was very open about my issues with depression, anxiety and a dissociative disorder I have. The most important element to this part of the assessment is to have a plan in place, counselling, therapy, whatever can work for you. They didn't expect me to not have issues, they did expect me to be proactively addressing them. Certainly my emotional challenges haven't magically disappeared as a result of surgery, I just gained hopefulness as my body armor grew less. Along with this comes vulnerability, I felt exposed and am beginning to explore who else I am as I had pretty much relegated myself to be a hopeless lump of flesh - I was so cruel to myself mentally. I would highly recommend paying careful attention to what you are really saying to yourself about yourself and start trying to be more gentle and compassionate like we are with others. This has been one of my major challenges indeed.

Bev from Brantford, Ontario, Canada RNY - Feb.27, 2014 @ St. Joe's Hamilton - Diabetes in Remission & Blood Pressure normal now. YAY!

HW - 303 lbs CW(pre op) - 274.5  at 5 months out 202.5 lbs Current weight on Aug.18/14 is 195 lbs May 2015 at goal - 160 pounds

mum2TNT
on 5/16/15 9:47 am - Oshawa, Canada

wow I just loved reading this! I am only 2/5 weeks out but feel I have a good attitude moving forward and am so hopeful for so many more good years ahead with my loving family.  I was on 10 pills for high BP, high cholesterol and diabetes......the day of surgery I went down to 1 pill (for the cholesterol)....which I hope will also correct itself.  This was my main goal.....to rid myself of these diseases because of my weight.  I had stopped living....I was just surviving.  I used to be so incredibly active, and I want and need that back.  Thank YOU so much for your inspirational story and congratulations on such a success story so far!!!! 

Chrissy  ~~~  doctor referral May 29/14; info session Aug 18/14surgeon appt Dr. Starr  Oct 15/14dietitian, social worker & nurse Dec 11/142nd appts dietitian, SW & nurse Jan 19/15;  Dr. Glazer Feb 25/15; 2 weeks OPTIFAST April 15/15; surgery date April 29/15    AGE: 48   HEIGHT: 5'6"  

Dixie1969
on 5/16/15 10:15 am

Thank you for your honest post.  I have Surgery booked for July. I too have struggled with Depression and a lot of negative self talk. I have blamed my weight from reaching some life goals. I had a great career and let it all slip away. My goal post surgery is to regain my career and my life.  I have been focusing on getting my emotions in check and doing some deep soul searching. I too have been cruel to myself mentally.  I find just getting outside into the great outdoors very helpful. I also enjoy walking that too helps clear a mind.  I am trying to break down the large walls I have placed around myself.

I have really enjoy reading your post....please keep posting

Zizzler
on 5/17/15 9:43 am

Wow, I really like your post. I can relate to all aspects of what you are describing.  Over time I have become more and more aware of my negative self-talk, and use cognitive behavioral therapy to explore and re-think what I really believe about myself.  It is so great that you posted about the emotional stuff, most people try to ignore it, but it is a core issue for so many.  You are brave and strong to talk about this and I really appreciate it.  Congratulations and please do keep posting how you are doing in this life-long process.

m1randa55
on 5/18/15 5:40 pm - Brantford, Canada

I am so thankful to hear us all talking about emotional issues. I had an idea before my surgical assessment that if I admitted to my many 'issues' that I would be turned down for surgery due to being seen as unstable. I was so relieved when I realized that being open, honest and being able to discuss the therapeutic plan I was following was enough for them. It makes sense. We never know what life might throw at us and our mental health is equally important to our physical health. I lost both my parents in the year following my surgery, so very recently and I am grateful that I started the work to look at emotional issues prior to surgery as I wonder how I would have handled so many changes and stressful events in a year. I know St. Joe's has many resources available for their patients. It is only ourselves that we do disservice to when we are less than honest or omit important information. Be bold, be honest and do whatever it takes to find good health :-)

Bev from Brantford, Ontario, Canada RNY - Feb.27, 2014 @ St. Joe's Hamilton - Diabetes in Remission & Blood Pressure normal now. YAY!

HW - 303 lbs CW(pre op) - 274.5  at 5 months out 202.5 lbs Current weight on Aug.18/14 is 195 lbs May 2015 at goal - 160 pounds

Most Active
Recent Topics