What else can/should I be doing

kaymommy
on 6/5/15 12:38 pm - Bradford, Canada
RNY on 02/12/16

So I had my orientation at HRRH on February 27th and haven't heard anything regarding appointments yet. I know there's a long list of people before me and I just have to hurry up and wait my turn. I am just trying to think of anything else I need to be doing to prepare myself. I have eliminated pop, switched to decafe which I only drink 1 cup once a day. I just started at the gym this past week and have been working on making healthier choices and paying attention to my portions (myfitnesspal is super helpful with that). I have read every piece of info I got in the orientation session and have been reading on these bords almost everyday. Is there anything else anyone can think of that I can do/read to help prepare myself? I want to make sure I am doing everything I can to be successful. I know I still need to work on actually having some sort of meal plans. I kinda just eat when I can now and running a home daycare doesn't make sitting down to eat a planned meal very possible. I also have an 19 month old little girl so getting to the gym usually only happens about 4 times a week and only for about an hour (30 min cardio 30 min weights). I am lucky that I do not have any health problems aside from being obese so I dont think my health will hold up the process at all. I am worried however of being held up because of my nutrition or not making enough changes or not being informed enough. It is so nerve wracking to want something so bad and to know that you could be turned down or held back so I want to make sure I am doing everything I can. Any tips will be very helpful. 

TIA Amanda

Referral 12/22/14 Orientation 2/27/15 Nutritionist & SW 9/25/15  Dr. Glazer 12/1/15 Nurse 12/14/1545  Opti 1/29/16  Surgery 2/12/16

HW:244.8 Ref:234.6

mum2TNT
on 6/5/15 1:35 pm - Oshawa, Canada

Hi there Amanda....you could ask your doctor to set up a sleep study to rule out sleep apnea.  The dietitian will definitely want to see a weekly planned meals and cooking meat in moister conditions...such as crock pot. I had to go back to the dietitian a 2nd time as she wasn't happy with the amount of protein in food I was eating and also the meal planning.  I was using the protein shakes....but she wanted to see me eating protein from regular everyday foods at EVERY snack and meal!!! That was a tough change for me, but I did it.  If you smoke or drink pop.....QUIT.  I would also call your centre asking where you are in the process!  They told me at orientation 5-6 weeks we should hear something, and if not to phone....which I had to.  You are over 3 months so wouldn't hurt to phone.  GOOD LUCK 

Chrissy  ~~~  doctor referral May 29/14; info session Aug 18/14surgeon appt Dr. Starr  Oct 15/14dietitian, social worker & nurse Dec 11/142nd appts dietitian, SW & nurse Jan 19/15;  Dr. Glazer Feb 25/15; 2 weeks OPTIFAST April 15/15; surgery date April 29/15    AGE: 48   HEIGHT: 5'6"  

kaymommy
on 6/5/15 5:25 pm - Bradford, Canada
RNY on 02/12/16

Hello. Big thanks for taking the time to respond. Is a sleep study standard? I have never had sleep or snoring issues so I hopefully I wont require one. Thanks for the heads up on the moist cooking methods I guess that is something I should be starting now. I also struggle with getting protein into every meal so I have resorted to protein shakes so I guess I better work on that as well. Meal planning and sitting down to eat meals is a big challenge for me so I better get that sorted before my apt. Luckily I don't smoke and have eliminated pop already (that was so hard). They also told me 4- 6 weeks at orientation but when I called at 5 weeks they said at least another 8 weeks. Needless to say I call weekly to check just to make sure they don't forget about me lol. Do you have any cookbook recommendations? I'm trying to find so.e new things I can eat that will make menu planning more fun. 

Thanks again for your help

Referral 12/22/14 Orientation 2/27/15 Nutritionist & SW 9/25/15  Dr. Glazer 12/1/15 Nurse 12/14/1545  Opti 1/29/16  Surgery 2/12/16

DebColCam
on 6/5/15 1:57 pm - Canada
Hi Amanda, I am going through HRRH too....and It was exactly a 4 month wait from orientation to getting a phone call to meet the surgeon. Heading there on Mon for my trio appts. The wait is long. I spent a good amount of time learning about what makes me eat! I have had to spend time identifying my triggers to eat and my emotional attachment to food. and how I can deal with stress, anger, frutstration, boredom etc without food.
Giving up diet coke was huge for me...lol ...looks like you are on track for the diet and nutrition changes. I am working on a 3meals a day plan and 2 healthy snacks protein and carb with each meal and snack and snack under 150 calories. Also trying to force myself to eat sitting down. I am guessing you will hear from HRRH soon.

5 yrs of research Starting for the second time...Referral Sept 28/17. Orientation Guelph Sept 28/17. Nurse Oct 10/17. Dietician & Social worker Nov. 21/17

kaymommy
on 6/5/15 5:12 pm - Bradford, Canada
RNY on 02/12/16

Thanks so much for the response. Happy to know I'm not the only one struggling with the menu plan and sitting to eat. I hope your trio Apts go well. I am so nervous for them and I don't even know when they are so I can imagine you must be nervous too. Update me on how you do. Hopefully everything  goes quick for you from this point.

BUFFY M.
on 6/5/15 4:46 pm - Bobcaygeon, Canada
RNY on 11/23/15

Dietician will ask what the highest amount of sugar and fat you should be consuming.

The answer is 10 grams of sugar and 3 grams of fat.   I messed up on that one.

kaymommy
on 6/5/15 5:06 pm - Bradford, Canada
RNY on 02/12/16

Thank you so much. I feel like I need to make flash cards to study lol. There is just so much info I'm worried I will forget something and get denied or delayed cause I can't answer. 

W8_No_More
on 6/6/15 9:32 am - Kitchener, Canada

Guelph really recommends the Craving Change program available thru the YMCA. It's free but depending on deman you might have to wait for an available spot. It's about 6 weeks and you examine your eating habits and triggers and talk about strategies to deal with them. I thought it was very good and it seems to go a long way with the dietician. ☺️

Dr Referral Jan/14, Guelph Orientation Feb 27/14, Nurse, Nut, SW app't Mar 14 & June 16/14, Nut, SW Aug 26/14, Internist Dr. Agarwal app't Sept 15/14, Surgeon App't Dr. Bhojani Dec 11/14, Start 3 weeks Opti Jan 6/15, Surgery Jan 27/15. Eating to live...Not living to eat!

tricia lynch
on 6/6/15 5:24 pm - thorold, Canada

hope you do not mind me following you cause you have great question and they have great answers i do orientation monday so these are good to know things

tricia lynch
on 6/6/15 5:24 pm - thorold, Canada

hope you do not mind me following you cause you have great question and they have great answers i do orientation monday so these are good to know things