too many calories?

betony63
on 8/5/15 1:43 pm

I went for my 6 month checkup last week. I dutifully brought in my food record and the NUT said I was eating too much and she was surprised I was still losing weight. Now, I know I'm not the world's fastest loser but I'm right where the post-op planner estimated I would be at 6 months out.

I average between 700-800 calories a day. Do you think this is too much? I walk every day for at least 20 minutes and swim/pool jog/water cycle a couple of times a week. This feels like a sustainable way to live but I'm worried now that I'm wasting my honeymoon period by eating too much...

I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts, and especially from our vets.

Thanks...

GUELPH. Referral: Dec 6/13. Orientation: Mar 6/14, Post-op Diet Class: Sept 22/14, Meeting with Surgeon: Dec 2/14, Surgery: Jan 22/15

HKT53
on 8/5/15 3:49 pm - Toronto, Canada

You are doing fine. You are doing more exercise than most. Slow loss stays off longer and you are spot on with planer. I think your NUT is a nut. I'm only 3 weeks out and I am tired all the time. Most I can do is 40 min walk the dog in the morning. I am only having 800 to 820 cal a day and almost as much protein as required. I'm not losing anything. But in all fairness, I'm a revision and for two years prior to revision I was only drinking liquids to stay alive. And, that's right, today my NUT thought I was eating too much carbs, until I showed her my food diary.  she backed off. I need at least as much exercise as you. You do what you can do. If you start gaining, then alter the frequency of snacks and meals and don't skip a meal. so I vented for you. Seriously 700 to 800 calls is too much? That reminds me of a time I was on weigh****chers and I was counting calories. I was having 850 a day but skipping breakfast and munching on carrots all afternoon. I was gaining weight...it was the carrots. 

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

Karen M.
on 8/5/15 4:13 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Slow loss stays off longer? That's news to me. Rate of loss does not determine longevity of maintaining loss. 

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

HKT53
on 8/5/15 4:40 pm - Toronto, Canada

Sorry Karen that comment was from my weigh****chers brain washing seminars...goes like this

Why slow weight loss lasts "I'm glad my weight loss was slow for me because I feel like I really have made lifestyle changes," says Lyn, a meetings member. "I just keep at it. I continue to see slow progress but overall a great deal of success. Slowly but surely the weight comes off." It's that kind of "through thick and thin" attitude that will take people from thick to thin for good, says Mandel. Losing weight slowly isn't just healthier, she says, it's a better investment. Not only are you dropping pounds, you're working on building habits that you'll be able to maintain. And those habits will help you maintain the weight you lost, so you can stay at your goal weight for good.

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

Karen M.
on 8/6/15 2:22 am - Mississauga, Canada

Agreed when taken in context.

I've read all sorts of funny statements over the years extolling the benefits of "losing slowly on purpose", my favourite being that slow loss will completely prevent any loose skin ;) Unfortunately, it's often used as an excuse for poor food choices. 

Karen

tatirod
on 8/5/15 9:27 pm - Toronto, Canada

I've heard this a lot... 

I think the intent is that losing weight very quickly through crash diets won't produce sustainable weight loss. If you want to lose a significant amount of weight and maintain it, you have to make therapeutic lifestyle changes (of which bariatric patients are well schooled). It's not speaking to the actual rate of weight loss, per se.

Referral: February 2015; TWH Orientation: April 2015; Social Worker: June 10, 2015: Nurse Practitioner: June 11, 2015; Nutrition Class: June 15, 2015; Psychometry Assessment: June 16, 2015; Nutrition Assessment: July 22, 2015; NP follow-up: July 28, 2015; Surgeon Consult: August 28, 2015; Surgery: November 6, 2015; Operation: VSG

Karen M.
on 8/6/15 2:14 am - Mississauga, Canada

Yes, that is exactly the intent. The statement taken on its own is out of context and incorrect, which is how it was presented.

Karen

betony63
on 8/5/15 4:53 pm

"I think your NUT is a nut" LOL

Thanks for the feedback!

GUELPH. Referral: Dec 6/13. Orientation: Mar 6/14, Post-op Diet Class: Sept 22/14, Meeting with Surgeon: Dec 2/14, Surgery: Jan 22/15

Karen M.
on 8/5/15 4:10 pm - Mississauga, Canada

700-800 calories per day is not too much and you are not wasting your "honeymoon". Sheesh. Your nut needs to give her head a shake. 

I will ask, though, since you're posting about it:

Are you planning and tracking your daily menu with real values (i.e. myfitnesspal)?

Are you keeping your menus protein-forward?

You used to post on the "what are you eating" thread, but I haven't seen you post there in quite some time. Come join us for some feedback. 

K. 

Karen

betony63
on 8/5/15 4:57 pm

Thanks Karen!

Yep, I track with SparkPeople. I liked posting on the "what are you eating" thread but I could never post until the evening. If no one minds the late posting, I'll be back. Even if no one sees it, it'll keep me accountable :)

Most Active
Recent Topics