Thinner hair immediately post op ?????

MonaLisaSmile
on 8/13/15 5:08 pm - Canada

I know all about the dreaded hair loss post surgery usually around the three month mark.   I have done a lot of research about that....and although I fear and dread it, I was fully aware that this seems to happen in varied amounts to most people.

Now for my question:  Did anyone else feel that their hair was noticeably thinner right when they returned home from the hospital???  I feel with the loss I have already had.....I am all but doomed when my actual time comes.  Is this just a somewhat normal side effect from anesthesia ?? 

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

McCall
on 8/13/15 7:41 pm

Have you noticed any hair actually fall out?

MonaLisaSmile
on 8/14/15 3:44 am - Canada

No more than usual.

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

HKT53
on 8/13/15 9:02 pm - Toronto, Canada

I too heard about hair loss at the three month mark and was bracing myself for experience. But to my sharing, I noticed my hair much thinner right after surgery. I went to have my hair cut and died to cover the remarkable amount of grey hair. I prided myself for being slow to grey. It was so noticeable as soon as I came home. So much so that I checked my pillow every morning to see if my hair was falling out. No clumps of hair on my pillow not even a strand. I have been checking ever since my surgery July 10. No, seems I am not loosing my hair, just seems thinner than I have ever noticed before. Maybe our heads have swollen and the follicles are now further apart. What do you think. Do you see hair on your oillow in the morning?

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

MonaLisaSmile
on 8/14/15 3:46 am - Canada

No I don't see it on my pillow or shirts or anything like that, but I do definitely remember seeing it on my hospital bed!!

HKT53
on 8/14/15 7:53 am - Toronto, Canada

So if you saw hair loss at the hospital, we need to blame anaesthetics. Hope somebody out there can give us tips how to keep our hair.

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

tatirod
on 8/13/15 9:21 pm - Toronto, Canada

I am pre-op but have had thinning hair/hair loss due to other medical issues. Since I will, hopefully, be post-op soon...  Did a little search and found This. If the site is accurate, then anesthesia can cause hair loss. 

For me, my hair came out when I washed it. Every time I touched my hair I'd just get clumps. Obviously, I stopped touching my hair as much as possible. But this had nothing to do with WLS. Still, I can sympathize. I bought cute hats to wear during this "transition".

Referral: February 2015; TWH Orientation: April 2015; Social Worker: June 10, 2015: Nurse Practitioner: June 11, 2015; Nutrition Class: June 15, 2015; Psychometry Assessment: June 16, 2015; Nutrition Assessment: July 22, 2015; NP follow-up: July 28, 2015; Surgeon Consult: August 28, 2015; Surgery: November 6, 2015; Operation: VSG

ntensegirl
on 8/14/15 2:41 am - napanee, Canada
RNY on 10/06/15

In my class we were told that if you find that your hair is thinning right after the surgery that is due to the actual anasthetic and the trauma (for lack of a better word) of surgery. 

Karen M.
on 8/14/15 3:37 am - Mississauga, Canada

I think you'll find that you haven't actually lost any hair yet. Often the weird hormonal things our bodies go through as your glycogen stores quickly deplete affect a lot of things - hair, skin, emotions, etc. Your hair is likely reacting to the hormonal imbalance.

For the typical 3-month hair loss cycle, Google "telogen effluvium".

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

MonaLisaSmile
on 8/14/15 4:02 am - Canada

Thanks girls!!!  I don't feel like I have been constantly losing, but I do know something happened over those first 3 days in hospital.  Anesthetic likely, hormones possibly, all I know is we just have to deal with it unfortunately........but it really helps to know that whatever "weird" thing that happens to you, it's likely happened to someone else too.   That's why this forum is AWESOME!!!  

Most Active
Recent Topics