Any beer drinkers here?

Ginnny
on 10/29/15 4:02 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

I know that surgery is a tool to aid in a lifetime of change, so please don't chastise me for this question....

How did you "cope" with the idea of never having a beer again? A hot summer day, they taste so good. I know eye on the prize and all that jazz but many of my friends and family are regular drinkers and when I say I don't want a drink they get all freaked out.

I said something to my spouse about never having a beer again after surgery and he said "yeah, you'll never have fun again." Now I'm not a person that needs alcohol to have fun so I just ignored that comment (after telling him how supportive he was). But still, I enjoy beers, and its hard to imagine never drinking one again.

(deactivated member)
on 10/29/15 4:15 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

You can drink it if you want. I drink some carbonated things and beer is one of them. I never drink pop but do have Perrier or club soda and beer at times. I wouldn't suggest drinking at all until you are at goal and you may only be able to drink a small portion at first because bubbles can hurt. Not sure why anyone should freak out if you choose to not have alcohol. I often say no thanks to people and nobody has ever freaked. I can have a good time with friends with or without alcohol so don't let their behaviour guilt you into anything if you truly don't want it that day.

Seyenna
on 10/29/15 7:30 pm - Welland, Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Not worth it, imo. It's wasted calories and not worth any risks, but that's my .02

Referral - Feb 25th, 2014. Info Session - April 7th 
Surgeon#1 - May 15th  Dr. Glazer - July 23rd, Dietitian/Social Worker/RN - Aug 1st, Surgeon #2 - Sept 10th, Surgery - Dec 16th, 2014!

Catw
on 10/30/15 5:36 am - Arnprior, Canada

You can have alcohol again, depending on your center, is at what stage you could have it, 3 months, 6 months, 12 months. You do need to be mindful of it for your menu, and adjust that day.

Things to remember when you do drink (beer, wine, liquor, etc):

1. It hits fast, and the "buzz" doesn't last as long.

- This does not mean it's out of your system any sooner, takes just as much to get rid of it as anyone else, so you may think it's fine to have another one, but it's harder on your system than others.

2. You won't be able to drink much of your first drink (I could only do an oz. of wine) as you won't have the tolerance of it that you remember.

3. You are smaller now than when you used to drink, you won't be able to safely drink the same amount again due to your body size.

4. Due to the effects, and transference of issues, some people become alcoholics very easily post surgery.

5. As you know it's empty calories, it's also high sugar, and can cause dumping.

As for your DH and family, if they think that alcohol is needed to have fun, then they are the ones with a problem.

Cathy

Dreamy74
on 10/30/15 6:10 am
RNY on 02/04/15

Hi Ginnny!

My centre (TWH) advised no alcohol until I was at least a year out (I had surgery in February of this year). In the summer (I think July) my husband and I were at a pub and it was really hot and we were on the patio. I was having water and coffee and my hubby was trying a sampler of different beers. I took a sip of his beer and it went down fine but later I had really bad gas. Then when we went to Thanksgiving dinner at my friend's house, I had a sip of wine, and then another sip, and I am not kidding I felt tipsy after that - two sips! So I have decided to lay off the alcohol as per my TWH's recommendation and not try any more until I am over a year out... so next February or March 2016.

My friends all seem happy that I am now the designated driver when we go out. I feel good having this new role bestowed upon me and even better since I don't drive but my friends do and they trust me with their car and they can all have a good time and get drunk and I can be the "responsible one" so to speak and ensure everyone gets home safe.

As others have said there is transfer addiction. I think I am experiencing that a bit with coffee - OMG since a few months out of surgery I can't get enough coffee and I am drinking it non-stop all day, which is bad and which I am working on.

The other thing is, with alcohol having so much sugar, you could have dumping syndrome so if and when you do try alcohol make sure you are in a safe place - best to do it at home, in case you have any bathroom issues.

It isn't easy being green - Kermit the Frog

Ginnny
on 10/30/15 9:01 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Thanks for the responses! I appreciate hearing your experiences.

Its just one of those little bumps in the process that you all helped me hop over!

As an FYI after a shopping trip this morning, there isn't enough beer in the world that would make me rethink my decision

B-Trix123
on 10/30/15 10:02 am - Toronto, Canada

Tons of great advice from all posters on this subject. They have addressed the medical reasons not to consume quite well.

I miss the ritual of a cold beer on a hot summer's day too. Heck, I even have a friend who owns a craft brewery. When contemplating surgery, I sat staring at the champagne flutes in my china cabinet and mourned. Love good bubbly and had particular favourites that I shared with company.

When dealing with my family, friends & peers about food and (lack of) booze consumption -- I spoke to them before my first social function with them. Of course there was shock and kick back. These people are after all -- mere mortals! I let them know why and how I could enjoy social events without the trimmings. I asked not to be excluded because of this. There have been events since surgery and some pals have needed a little reminder, but none have ever goaded/ridiculed me. This does make some people (even nurses for gawd's sake) uncomfortable - eating/drinking is such a communal thing. I am now doing things to create the illusion of eating/drinking with them -- small plate with a little food, napkin in hand, protein shakes on ice for a bevvy looks like a big glass of Bailey's, circulating the room and so on. I find it helps.

Those closest to me are not unlike your spouse -- mostly about food, not booze. I have told them that choosing to maintain my previous lifestyle would lead to premature death and I am choosing life. The decision to support me or not was completely up to them. They don't support my decision for surgery - but at least I know where I stand. I have chosen to put my energy into battling my health and not battling with them. Consider asking those near and dear to you which battle they would like you to fight.

Ahhh - how to sign off? Think I wil lift my Pilsner glass full of protein shake and say.....

CHEERS!!!! TO YOUR GOOD HEALTH!

Cactus2600
on 10/31/15 2:46 pm - Canada

I am at the infancy of my journey, i have my orientation on nov 9th, beer is something im sad to see go also, i can say goodbye to alot of food and drinks, but i hear ya about the hot summer day on the deck, or BBQ and having a beer after cutting the grass. I also enjoy wine with dinner or just sitting with my girlfriend sharing a bottle. i dont see alot of men my size as old men, so the alternative is making me not worry a whole lot, its beer or death is how i look at it.

Keith_K
on 11/1/15 4:52 am - Milton, Canada

If the effect of alcohol is the main issue, there are many non-alcohol beers with less than .5% alcohol available. The better ones can be found in European grocery stores. PremiumNearBeer.com has a very good selection and ships to your doorstep. I haven't tried any since my surgery, but I would imagine there would be the same effect from carbonization. If you want the taste without the alcohol they are a very good solution.

Most Active
Recent Topics