Newbie!

A. W
on 11/5/15 4:51 pm - Ottawa, Canada

Hey All!

I'm new here, as of today, and was recommended by a friend who had RNY surgery a couple of years ago. She said this was a great place to meet people, ask questions, and get answers. 

Tomorrow I have my intake appointment for surgery. My Dr sent the referral last month after I approached him about issues losing weight. I am beyond excited for this journey.

I was told the entire process will take about a year, from time of referral to surgery. I wish I didn't have to wait so long, I am so anxious to begin a new life and become a better me. 

What were you most excited for BESIDES better health, when it came to surgery?

Personally, I am excited to get to a point where I will be comfortable being in pictures with my kids. I am sick of not liking any pictures I take with my son or daughter because I "look fat". I want them to look back and see how happy I was to have them in my life, and be proud of the woman they see in those photos. 

tatirod
on 11/5/15 6:08 pm - Toronto, Canada

Welcome! My surgery is tomorrow.

im most excited about being able to be more active, run and play with the dog, etc.

Referral: February 2015; TWH Orientation: April 2015; Social Worker: June 10, 2015: Nurse Practitioner: June 11, 2015; Nutrition Class: June 15, 2015; Psychometry Assessment: June 16, 2015; Nutrition Assessment: July 22, 2015; NP follow-up: July 28, 2015; Surgeon Consult: August 28, 2015; Surgery: November 6, 2015; Operation: VSG

HKT53
on 11/5/15 6:25 pm - Toronto, Canada

Nice to meet you. I was most excited at surgery, being able shop in a regular store. I had a blast yesterday. Went to Yorkdale Mall and I circled around H&M, thinking there would be nothing for me to try on in that store. Finally got the nerve to go in and try on some clothing. Size 14 too big...say what??? Honestly, I had to limit myself to two complete outfits. Almost cried putting the other two pair of pants back. And they were affordable. My only complaint in that store is they jam pack the clothing on the rack and nothing is pressed. I asked them to steam it and they looked at me like I was crazy. OK so I gotta press them myself.

Hip Hip Hip Hooray

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

Catw
on 11/6/15 4:57 am - Arnprior, Canada

Welcome to the forum!  Your friend is right, it is a great place to meet people, ask questions and get answers/support.

I'm over 4 years out, but I was looking forward to playing with my kids and not standing around.  I had surgery end of June, and was outskating them in October at public skating, and my feet didn't hurt as much.  There are a lot of things you'll be thankful for as you go, things you can't even imagine yet.

I know a year sounds like a long time, but there are things that you have to do to prepare for this new lifestyle.  There are medical tests that need to be done, and you need to take the time to research everything.  And be aware of yourself.  Some people need to do things to help the psychological side of things, so that they can use this tool better.  As you go, you'll learn what you need, and be able to get help with dealing with it.

I wish you well on your journey.

Cathy

A. W
on 11/6/15 5:04 am - Ottawa, Canada

Thanks everyone! 

B-Trix123
on 11/6/15 10:35 am - Toronto, Canada

I am looking forward to fitting in public space seating - planes, theatres, restaurant chairs that have arms on them and so on. I used to fly in seaplanes a lot - stopped about 5 years ago as boarding and disembarking was too dicey. Sitting at the Sony Centre in Toronto bruised my hips and going to the Royal Alex became too big of a challenge.

nitethyme
on 11/7/15 4:38 pm - Etobicoke, Canada
RNY on 12/18/15

Love it! Me too! :)

Most Active
Recent Topics