pre op weight loss

christinaYR
on 11/12/15 3:49 pm

So I thought it wise tonuse the 12 month witntime for surgery to prepare for life after wls by introducing bariatric principles into my lifestyle. So far i cut out pasta and rice and I'm working on bread. so the low carb changes I've adopted are going well and I've list 13lbs in about 2 months

if i keep this up I can could lose a good amount of weight prior to my surgery. I'm curious though if my efforts could potentially make me ineligible for surgery? say if I lost 50lbs and my bmi was hovering around 40 would they disqualify me and say I can do it on my own?

I know I can't do this permanently without wls and I want it to be successful as a true lifestyle change.

So what do you think? Anyone else have a similar experience?

HW 288 Orientation Humber River 8/15

MonaLisaSmile
on 11/12/15 5:43 pm - Canada

They will likely see you as serious and pro active with any sort of prior weight loss.  As long as you still meet the minimum requirements by the time you get to your appts,  I'm sure you will be just fine.  Now if you go below.........that could be a problem.

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

Ginnny
on 11/12/15 5:56 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Hi there, I am just borderline to even qualify for the surgery and was concerned about the very thing you are. 

I asked about any weight loss because I would be even less eligible for the surgery based on my BMI.

I was told that they look at your numbers based on your initial referral and that losing weight was encouraged.

northernga1
on 11/13/15 7:13 am - Elliot Lake, Canada

I have been told they go by your weight when you were referred, i lost weight pre op with the changes and how long it took to get my surgery date.  I lost 50 pounds before surgery and they werent concerned but my bmi was still way above 40 when i went into surgery 

Referral Feb 14 2014; Orientation July 30 2014; 1 on 1's Feb 17, 2015; Pre op May 27 2015; Surgery date June 16, 2015

christinaYR
on 11/13/15 9:25 am

I could lose 35 lbs and that would keep me at around 40 bmi. I'm thinking that the 40 is an important number because it defines morbidly obese so I guess I'm thinking I'm "safe" to continue on this path but that maybe I shouldn't lose more than that 35 (assuming I can of course lol)

christinaYR
on 11/13/15 9:25 am

I could lose 35 lbs and that would keep me at around 40 bmi. I'm thinking that the 40 is an important number because it defines morbidly obese so I guess I'm thinking I'm "safe" to continue on this path but that maybe I shouldn't lose more than that 35 (assuming I can of course lol)

Most Active
Recent Topics