Losing weight before surgery

Andream33
on 6/16/16 1:59 pm - Drayton Valley, Canada

Hey everyone,

I have to lose 10% to have surgery. I am struggling to lose. What do you all eat to help shed the weight? 

crqvingchange
on 6/16/16 2:30 pm

What centre are you going through?

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Andream33
on 6/16/16 2:32 pm - Drayton Valley, Canada

I am in the Red Deer clinic in Alberta.  But the Alberta forum is so quiet.

crqvingchange
on 6/16/16 7:26 pm

Monica has given you great advice on meal planning.  I would call the Red Deer clinic and ask for their eating guideline throughout the phases of pre and post surgery.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Monica9811
on 6/16/16 3:03 pm - Peterborough, Canada

You need to cut out pop and junk food. Your meals should be protein focused. Very little carbs. Veggies are fine. Weigh and measure your portions. Honestly 4 oz of protein with fresh or cooked veggies is very satisfying. If you look at the what are you eating and doing today to get ideas and follow those menus you will do very well. Drink lots of water too. You can do it!

lammytee14
on 6/17/16 7:30 am

To add to Monica's s great list, eliminate caffeine. It's harder for some of us than others to give up. I had horrible withdrawal symptoms but it was worth it.

Good luck!

Tammy :)

Surgery on March 16, 2015 with Dr. Yelle (Ottawa)

HW: 245 (2012) SW: 233 CW: 141 Goal Range (by Surgeon): 149-179  

Holy Smokes! I've lost 100 pounds from my heaviest weight! Yay me!!!

Andream33
on 6/17/16 10:48 am - Drayton Valley, Canada

I guess I say goodbye to my tea!

crqvingchange
on 6/17/16 2:29 pm

Drink decaf tea.  I drink a lot of decaf coffee.

Andream33
on 6/17/16 2:46 pm - Drayton Valley, Canada

I went to ho****er and lemon. 

Catw
on 6/20/16 6:48 am, edited 6/20/16 1:48 am - Arnprior, Canada

The best thing to start with is a journal.  Journal what you eat/drink (including measurements), journal your activity, and journal how you feel when you are eating and at other times.  It helps you realize what you are currently doing, and may help you see why you eat when you do.  Is it truly hunger, or is it another reason.  Do this for a week or two without changing anything and this will be your baseline.

Once you have your baseline, make one small change.  For example, if you know you don't drink enough water.  Increase your water intake by 1 glass a day, do that until it's natural, then add another glass a day, repeating until you regularly get your 8 glasses in.  Basically do your changes in small steps, that will help keep them long term.  Doing everything at once can be overwhelming and hard to maintain.

Same with activity, do small changes, eventually, they'll be big ones.

If you notice things like you eat in the evening while watching TV, then perhaps you could start a hobby.  Something to keep your hands and mind busy so you're not after those evening eats.  If you notice that you are eating when your feeling sad, stressed etc, see if you can talk to a counsellor to help find other ways to deal with it.

I wish you well on your journey.

Cathy

Forgot to add, start using smaller dishes and utensils.  It's an optical illusion, but it makes you feel like you are eating more than you actually are.  The odd time I eat Asian food, I use chop sticks, so I take smaller bites. 

Most Active
Recent Topics