Intimidated by Gym

wiccandove
on 10/12/16 7:59 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/06/16

Hi All

I joined the local YMCA with the intent of going to aquafit classes, or cycling classes or maybe even yoga. Problem is I'm kind of scared to go - anyone else experience this?

Long time ago I went to a gym and was in a step class where the teacher repeatedly kept asking me, loudly, if I was ok. I was going a little slower then the rest of the class (I was under the impression it was ok to go at your own pace). I felt really self conscious and never went back.

I'm afraid of looking stupid, like what if I use a machine wrong (Or can't figure it out). I know its probably irrational to feel like everyone is going to stare at me but I'm having a hard time getting over this fear :(  

Ginnny
on 10/12/16 8:50 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

See if they offer an orientation to the gym program.  One of the staff will show you how each machine works so that you are using it properly.  Some places include this in your membership, other may charge a small fee.  Worth looking into.

Good for you for joining that's the first part.  The best part of aquafit is people can't really see what your doing under water!! As long as you're moving you're doing something, and the more often you go, the more confidence you'll gain.

Carchick28
on 10/12/16 8:52 am - Canada

I will say that is can be intimidating but I will tell you that most people are not paying any attention to what you are doing.  I know we all think they are but they really are not.  At the YMCA they will give you an orientation as part of your membership on the use of all of their equipment.   I have made myself look really stupid at the gym and felt very embarrased but I just reminded myself why I am there.  Most people at the gym are nice and will always help you if you ask.  The aquafit classes are a great place to start.  You really can't do it wrong and there are people there of all ages and abilities.  I actually met a good friend that I now have at aquafit classes last year.  Found out she had had surgery and we are now friends and exercise buddies when we have a chance to go the gym.  Start off slow and see how it goes.  You will eventually find that everyone for the most part are friendly.   Take a deep breath and make it happen.  You can do it.  :-) Good Luck. 

SkottiRNY
on 10/12/16 6:53 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 07/07/15

Hey wiccandove!

Good job for joining the gym! Try to remember this... you are doing this for you...not for them. They didn't walk into a gym knowing exactly how to use this or that, they had to ask and or watch others. Maybe starting off with cardio for a while at your pace, and look on at the machines until you are ready to actually get in there, while feeling comfortable about it at the same time. Yes, I am sure they will walk you through the machines at start-up, so learn what you can. I would rather be healthier and stumbling through figuring out these machines than living the life I had before, where I wouldn't have even made an effort to get a gym membership. 

Good luck.

Cheers,

Skotti

"Not every day is Fantastic, but at least I have the opportunity to live every day." ~ Skotti RNY

My YouTube Channel

HW: 419 lbs August 2014  - SW: 340 lbs - GW: 219 lbs 

RNY July 7, 2015

Most Active
Recent Topics