Didn't think it would be like this......

Eragon2015
on 12/26/16 9:11 am - Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Well... I didn't think having the surgery my life would be quite like this. Surgery went well, no problems thankfully. But afterwards? Omy goodness. Its one thing after another.

I have reached the 6 month mark. Have only lost about 65 pounds. Which I am completely grateful for, don't get me wrong... But that is it? Others have lost SO much more. I found out I am a slow loser. Yay for me.... Geez. I am thankful for those lost pounds because I can now walk briskly without all the pain and breathing heavy. My chances of diabetes and heart disease have decreased. Which in itself I am honored for. 

But now I suffer from low blood pressure, salt sensitivity, too much alkaline in my liver, b12 deficient, and who know what other vitamins or minerals I'll need. LOL OH, and  I have now been put on thyroid meds because I keep getting dizzy and they found out my blood pressure was too low. Which they hope will cure it. I've been fighting with my doctor for over 20 years that there's something wrong with my thyroid. Couldn't lose weight, kept gaining. He kept telling me we don't medicate till you're at a 10. Well geez. He finally puts me on meds and I gain 10 pounds. Wth? Really?

I can't have cream, milk fat, sugar or gluten. They tell me to have salt, well I can't, I add salt to something and it tastes like I emptied the shaker on it. Omgoodness. Anyone else end up with more issues than they thought were possible? Help! I'm really frustrated. What do I do?

RNY Surgery June 15, 2016 with Dr Hagen

HW 267 CW 193

birdiegirl
on 12/26/16 12:10 pm

I have written this to you before and I promise you this will be the last time.  

It's what you are eating. 

Cut your carbs and weigh and measure.  Don't use excuses.   65 lbs in 6 months isn't terrible, but if you are unhappy with this weight loss then put your mind to what needs to be done.  I promise you it will get tougher, a whole lot tougher, the further out you are.

Are you still eating rolls, french fries etc etc?  Ice-cream?  I remember you were eating these things 5 or 6 weeks post surgery.   What a waste  of good losing time for you.

Show me a"slow loser" who isn't a revision or some other extraordinary issue, and I'll show you someone who is eating what they ate pre-surgery, but expecting different results.

WHY go thru surgery if you don't plan on strictly adhering to the right protocol to ensure complete success. 

If I had just 100 pounds to lose then I would be happy with 65 in 6 momths.  With what you have to lose, you need to step it up.  I was down over 100 at six months   but I didn't cheat once. No bread, crackers, sweets, etc.

Don't make excuses.  You are in charge of your own success or failure to capitalize.   There are NO DO OVERS.   Start today and decide to optimize your remaining easy loss time.  Or, accept what you are and what you will lose.

Eragon2015
on 12/26/16 6:37 pm - Barrie, Ontario, Canada

I don't eat carbs, breads, sugars or cream anymore. One excruciating night of pain can clear up those cravings.  Most of my meals are proteins and salads. I eat from a small plate. The dietician told me  my portion sizes are right on track. I did try bread and frozen yogurt and French fries after surgery. Cause I wanted to see if I could. But still cannot eat them so I go without.  I am not making excuses. Don't know why u think I am.

HW 267 CW 193

birdiegirl
on 12/27/16 3:43 am

Glad to hear you have given up those poor food choices.  I just remembered the last time you posted on this you still were making some less then stellar choices.

Now at post 6 months it will  be just a bit tougher.  Early out, you can eat poor choices and still lose.  Just not lose as much as you would or should have by sticking to protein first

Keep your eyes on the prize and plan your day around good solid protein choices.  If you eat dense protein first, you will be too full for other things. Still to this day, I consume my weighed and measured protein first.  Then a few bites of whatever veg I have before I am done.

Many of us have medical issues, med requirements etc that produce issues or make weight loss a little tougher.  So we have to work a little harder to succeed.

Just make sure you aren't justifying your actions as to why you are a "slow loser".  I mean this kindly, because the worst thing is to be unsuccessful at this surgery.  Depression is to find yourself at 18 months or 2 years out and realize you have squandered your one last great chance at permanent weight management. 

I truly want you to be successful.   Only YOU really know if you are doing everything you can to be a success.  I hope you are.

Ginnny
on 12/27/16 5:38 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Birdie I love it that you tell it like it is! A straight shooter with honest advice! 

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

birdiegirl
on 12/27/16 6:15 am

thanks Ginnny.  I understand that not everyone will like my message or delivery style.  I don't like to waste words.

I have just seen sooo many ruin their wonderful chance over the past 9 plus years on OH.  Makes me sad as I know they will eventually be heartbroken at the missed opportunity. 

I would rather they dislike me and do something about it to prove to me how wrong I am, then have me pat their hand and they continue sabotaging themselves.

Most of us old timers can spot those who will have trouble fairly quickly.  Some you can get turned around and others will end up posting on the revision or this forum how upset they are.

The most difficult thing to do is to really have an honest look at yourself in the mirror.  Most of us cause our own problems, we just don't like to admit it.  We cant afford to feel sorry for ourselves as that has a tendency to allow us to excuse our mistakes.

OK - rant over

Eragon2015
on 12/27/16 6:38 am - Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Is not being able to "see" a difference in your body changes normal as well? I "know" my size is different, I've kept measurements of myself. I have bought new much smaller sized clothes. I hear the comments from others of how much weight I've lost. I know how many inches I've lost in total. But when I look in the mirror, I still see the same me. When does that change? Or does it?

HW 267 CW 193

Insert Fitness
on 12/27/16 8:26 am

This is definitely normal. The behaviourist at my clinic said to mitigate it, take a lot of progress photos in the same spot. Take measurements. And she also said even getting butcher paper and having someone draw your outline. She said it can take quite a while to process. Some people have to work on this for some time.

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

Leslie W.
on 12/26/16 1:32 pm - Cobourg, Canada

Low bp post op is not uncommon. It too will pass. For 2 years I sat at  90. Just be aware, change positions slowly. Change of taste is common with any surgery. If you dont like salt there is always salt tablets. At 6 months outs your b12 deficiency was probably there before. We know we have to take suppliments. From yr 3 I have anemia and low ferritin which requires iron infusions. But will take that over the health issues with obesity. Just over 5 years and no regrets. 

Go back to measuring and tracking. Your centres dietician can help. Change things up a bite. Go for extra walk. 

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Laura in Texas
on 12/26/16 2:38 pm

Looking at your ticker, you have lost 50% of your excess weight which is pretty typical by the six month mark.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
Recent Topics