Moving before/after surgery

Kaylar
on 5/8/17 12:18 pm - Toronto, On

Hi everyone!

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with moving out of Ontario during the latter part of this program?

Some layoffs have been happening at work, and there's a pretty decent chance I'm going to be one of them, in which case I'll most likely have to move back to PEI for a bit. It could happen a little before the surgery or it could happen a little after, but it isn't happening right this second. Getting a ride back to Toronto for the surgery wouldn't be a problem though, since my parents were going to come help me out anyway. We'd just have to get a hotel for a bit.

I've got my meet the surgeon appointment at TWH Wednesday morning, and from what I've been seeing I'll probably be getting a surgery date in august/september, so I should be fine in terms of OHIP still covering it because of the 3 month transition period and whatnot, but will they kick me out of the program if I even mention it as a possibility? Because PEI's version of the program is basically "we'll cover it, but go do it in New Brunswick or Nova Scotia because we can't do it here," so I'd be traveling during recovery either way. Not to mention I don't want to start over when I'm basically at the finish line.

Has anyone gone through this? Will they let you just come in for the surgery and then do your follow ups by telehealth? Does telehealth even work with patients outside of Ontario? You have follow ups for over a year afterwards, so there must be something in place for people who leave the province in that time, right? And how soon after the surgery can you handle a long trip by car? My pain tolerance is pretty good, so the discomfort isn't really an issue so much as any potential damage.

Thanks!

eLoon77
on 5/8/17 3:14 pm
RNY on 09/22/17

I just had my meet the surgeon at TWH on Friday and got Sept 22nd so depending how frequently they're doing them I'd say last week of September is probably the soonest. Or if they do 2 a day and no ones been in since me maybe we'll be the same day!

Im guessing if it falls under a 3 month transition period you would be fine having the surgery here if the timing worked out but OHIP likely won't cover the after care so maybe TWH can transfer your aftercare to PEI? If you have OHIP coverage up to the surgery I'd almost be tempted to just have it and let them know after the fact that you've moved and need to find alternate follow up?

As for driving I don't think you can physically hurt yourself as long as you aren't straining (so no moving boxes unpacking afterwards) but sitting in a car shouldn't do damage just might not be comfortable. Maybe someone who's had the surgery can testify as to how soon that would be tolerable post op.

Sorry you're going through this! It's a stressful process enough without added logistics and life complications! Good luck.

Feb 17/16 - orientation TWH | March 3/16 - nurse | Nov 22/16 - Phone call f/u re-entry | Oct 18/16 - nurse | Nov 29/16 - nut class | Feb 16/17 - social worker | March 7/17 - nut apt | March 22/17 - psych apt | March 30/17 - team approved | May 5/17 - surgeon apt | June 8/17 - endoscopy | Sept 22/17 SURGERY RNY @TWH

(deactivated member)
on 5/8/17 3:26 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

I wouldn't say anything until you get a date and then decide if you'd still be covered under OHIP. I am guessing if you are renting you will have to give 60 days notice so don't change your address until you have vacated your apartment then apply for the transfer of OHIP to PEI health and the 3 months will start then, giving you closer to 5 months of coverage.

As for travelling post surgery, I had an 8 hour car ride after surgery and we just stopped every two hours so I could get out and walk to avoid blood clots. Make sure you have a pillow to hold over your belly as it can help when you hit bumps. If you do end up having to move, maybe look into flight sales as you may get a good price on a seat sale. Not sure if Porter flies to PEI or not but when I had to go back for surgery two years ago, I flew Porter, landed on the island and for about $20 in cab fare I got to where I was going. Nice part was that I was home less than 2 hours after we left Toronto after surgery.

Manda32
on 5/9/17 1:15 am

Sorry to hear about potential job loss, as if going through this process isn't stressful enough.

It's really hard to say. I did OHip billing years ago, and I do know every province has their own rates in regards to procedures, so if you end up on PEI insurance its really hard to say what would happen.

I'm guessing if your on OHIP while you have surgery you'll be fine, but if its before or after its hard to say whether you'd be able to stay in this program as I believe it is a program for people who live in Ontario.

I think I would follow the recommendation of the above member and not say anything for now. Hopefully you won't get laid off!

If you did want to ask about it to put your mind at ease, or to be prepared, then just be non chalant about it as its a possiblity what would happen if it does? It's not like they know if or when you would get laid off or when you left the province if you had too.

Good luck to you and I hope you are able to keep your job!! Best of luck!

Orientation April 2016 - Final approvals December 2016. Surgical Class January 23, 2017. Met with Dr. Reed February 7, 2017. Opti start date March 1, 2017. Surgery March 15, 2017 (Dr. Foute-Nelong).

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

Most Active
Recent Topics