Giving up pop

Sheacat
on 7/8/17 6:02 am - Belleville, ON
RNY on 07/11/17

One of the things that helped (for me anyway) was having lots of choices in the fridge already to go. I liked my drinks cold, so having bottled water, G2 or premade Mio, etc, made it easier for me to grab something on the way through!

Simplyb
on 7/9/17 4:29 am
RNY on 04/12/17

I still miss the fizz but not the sweet syrupy flavour.

Every centre is different in their perspective of carbonated products. In all honesty you will hate pop post op - everything tastes too sweet - even the vitamins.

Dr Weiner on YouTube from feels you can have some carbonated waters, I have been looking for evidence and studies on its stretch of the pouch but have not found any yet. Most is associated with eating and drinking and increasing the size of the stoma by washing out meals, or consuming liquid calories.

I have had some carbonated Perrier since surgery just a few sips when out. We do not eat and drink together during the meal so for the most part it sits there the entire meal and the waiters stop refilling your water like fiends.

I was accidentally given sprite or 7-up once and it was horribly sweet, so much so that my teeth chattered and I immediately spit it out.

I was never a big water drinker and I find crystal light very sweet and tinny, and G2 too sweet. So to keep my water up, I have found myself buying diet cranberry blend juices and mix 1 part juice to 8 parts water for a satisfying flavour.

Post-op our tastes change - it can be hard to predict what we will like or tolerate.

Surgery: RNY April 12/2017 - Humber River Hospital

Current Weight: 225 lbs

(deactivated member)
on 7/9/17 11:12 am
VSG on 12/28/16

I do water and a splash of diet cranberry too. Just a tiny bit gives a nice flavor and is a nice break when I get tired of water and my decaf iced tea. Glad you're sticking around. Once you get past the worst of your eating challenges, you should be able to provide good insight as a nurse.

KatieCJ
on 7/11/17 3:47 am

Do you make your own decaf iced tea? I haven't found a mix yet.

KatieCJ
on 7/11/17 3:48 am

I think I'll feel the same way about Crystal Light, I only like the iced tea right now.

I will try the diet cranberry.

(deactivated member)
on 7/11/17 10:03 am
VSG on 12/28/16

Yes I make my own decaf iced tea. I just brew a pitcher at a time every few days. It's just routine now. Once I had my wls I couldn't take the sweetness of Crystal Light anymore but the splash of cran (and twist of lime if I have it) is ver refreshing.

IamBettyCooper
on 7/10/17 1:39 pm

Try to stay away from the aspartame-based drinks, they really mess you up.

Giving up sodas was so hard for me! My saving treat was Vitamin Water Zero. It is sweetened with stevia and not carbonated. I have one a day and cut it with ice and water so I get 4 cups out of a 2 cup serving bottle. Also look for the Stir and Skinny Girl and PC brand of water enhancers ... they use stevia instead of aspartame or other sweeteners and I use those. Last trick is to make your own iced tea at home and sweeten to your own taste with stevia.

It can be done, but the first two weeks are the hardest.

TWH ... Referral April 2015 ... Orientation July 2015 ... Psych Sept 2015 ... Social Worker Oct 2015 ... Nurse Practitioner Dec 2015 ... Nutrition Class Jan 2016 ... Nutritionist Feb 2016 ... Surgeon Appt April 2016 ... VGS Surgery July 2016

HW 294.2 SW 271 CW 183.1

KatieCJ
on 7/11/17 3:46 am

Thanks for the tips! I will check them out.

Most Active
Recent Topics