Timeline?

LouiseEM
on 8/1/17 1:16 pm

Hey guys! I've been lurking for a number of months while on this journey, and I had a question about timelines.

I am finally at the point where my pre-op is coming up this month, despite my best efforts to bump up the appointment. ;)

I am curious for those who went through Humber River, what the time line might be like after the pre-op appointment. Do we know when they are booking for surgery dates?

I am asking since I work in a very small office of about 3 people, one of which is due in November for baby number 2! She will be off until March and there's no way I could take time off during that time for surgery.

I also have my sister's wedding middle of October, and I will sometimes teach a semester at the college college beginning mid September (not confirmed for this coming semester yet).

Any ideas if I might be able to secure a surgery date at least before October? Perhaps even sooner? Has any one had any luck with a super quick surgery date?

Thanks for your input!

Louise :D

Referral: Dec 2016 Orientation: Feb 2017 @ Humber River; Meet the Surgeon: Dr. Starr Apr 12/17; RD, RN, SW: July 12/2017; Pre-Op: Dr. Glazer Aug 16/17; Opti Start Date: Aug 26/17; Meet the NEW Surgeon: Dr. Huynh Sept 7/17; Surgery Date: Sept 15/17

HW 332 CW 306 GW 165

Beachgirl77
on 8/1/17 3:47 pm, edited 8/1/17 8:47 am

Reading your timeline so far is very similar to how mine was ! My orientation was in Feb around the same time as well . After meeting with Dr Glazer , did he tell you everything was good ? I left my appointment with him at the end of June and was told to call the surgeon Dr. Starr as soon as I could to get my appointment. I called as soon as I got to my car and they gave me an Oct 2 surgery date and I was to meet with him beginning of Sept to get my optifast . Well, July 10th I got a call asking if I wanted to take a July 28th surgery date instead , with opti starting on the 14th !! I had about 1/2hr to think about it and I ended up taking it ..I'm now 4 days post op!

LouiseEM
on 8/2/17 6:29 am

That's amazing!!! I hope I can get a date like that. I will definitely let them know that I can do whatever date they want if it's sooner rather then later.

I haven't seen Dr. Glazer just yet, so I am hoping to get the thumbs up after his appointment this month.

I hope your recovery goes well! How much time did you spend at the hospital?

Louise

Referral: Dec 2016 Orientation: Feb 2017 @ Humber River; Meet the Surgeon: Dr. Starr Apr 12/17; RD, RN, SW: July 12/2017; Pre-Op: Dr. Glazer Aug 16/17; Opti Start Date: Aug 26/17; Meet the NEW Surgeon: Dr. Huynh Sept 7/17; Surgery Date: Sept 15/17

HW 332 CW 306 GW 165

SaraSmiles
on 8/1/17 4:49 pm, edited 8/1/17 9:50 am

I have my marathon (trio) of appointments at HRH on Thursday, I met with Glazer a couple weeks ago and I am scheduled for a sleep study. I was told when I met with the Surgeon that my date might be in October.

Hope it all works out for you... I am starting to think that I might not even get a date in October... fingers crossed.

LouiseEM
on 8/2/17 6:32 am

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you too! I hope everything goes well.

My trio appointments were really good. It helps that I've spent a ton of time researching the procedures and really weighing the pros and cons of the process. They basically just want to make sure that you're truly ready for the process and don't have any false expectations of really what this will do for you. No magic pills here, just major, point of no return, lifestyle changes. ;)

Louise

HW 332 CW 306 GW 165

MrsStephens
on 8/2/17 7:57 pm
My referral went to HRH end of June and I haven't heard anything yet. I called to make sure it went there instead of Hamilton and booking advised it has been received but is 1-2 months for processing. I'm wondering, do they call or mail you something? I have read so many different things. Also did anyone of you call for cancellations to bump up your time? I have kids and am Hopi h to have my surgery before next June as recovery will be better. Also have you ever heard of them refusing someone even if their Dr referred them? I'm scared to lose a single lb before my appt....
LouiseEM
on 8/3/17 6:21 am

I first received a package in the mail about my orientation appointment. I have tried calling for cancellations however, I never seem to be able to get earlier appointments.

I haven't heard of refusals, but I think it most likely depends on your BMI or other health issues.

This is from http://www.ontariobariatricnetwork.ca/our-programs/surgical- program

Eligibility:

• 18 years of age and older
  • BMI greater than or equal to 40
  • BMI greater than or equal to 35 but less than 40. With at least one of the following comorbidities (as determined by your physician):
    • Coronary heart disease
    • Type II Diabetes mellitus
    • Hypertension
    • Diagnosed sleep apnea
    • Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)

Ineligibility (not limited to):

• Current drug or alcohol dependency (within 6 months of referral)
  • Recent major cancer (life threatening, within last 2 years)
  • Untreated or inadequately treated psychiatric illness

I hope that helps!

Louise

HW 332 CW 306 GW 165

MrsStephens
on 8/3/17 9:00 am

Thank you Louise. I have GERD and so even though my BMI is under 40 my Dr felt I am a good candidate. A friend was just under 40 and she gained a few lbs before seeing the Dr to make sure they would accept her. At the orientation do they weigh you and decide if you are accepted to the program? It was suggested I go into the program previously however I was not ready. Now that I am ready and excited I'm worried I won't be accepted. One last question, how long was it between your referral and your orientation?

LouiseEM
on 8/4/17 8:25 am

I was referred in the beginning of Dec 2016. My orientation was for February. So just a few months.

They don't weigh you or anything at orientation. It basically is a big classroom setting where they explain exactly what you are getting yourself into. The different procedures, the major dietary changes, the things that you will have to plan on giving up completely to be successful. They talk about the risks involved, and mortality rates, and answer all sorts of questions for you.

I think the point is to hit you in the head with the gravity of this choice so that those who are on the fence, or aren't willing to make these sacrifices, won't waste the clinic's valuable resources. Nearly everyone had someone with them who wasn't being referred, basically your support person. They give you all sorts of written material to go over, and copies of the power point.

You also have a visit from someone who's been through the program to ask questions.

All in all, it was under 3 hours, probably closer to 2, as we were trying to beat a snowstorm arrival. ;)

I left with tons of knowledge and a packet of information to go over, and where I could find further resources to help with the journey.

After that I met with the surgeon in April. I needed to bring an depth questionnaire filled out by my GP. That appointment was so the surgeon could go over my information, and I could ask about any questions or concerns I had about the surgeries. He explained each one, and then recommended a specific one. He decided I was a good candidate, and gave me his card so that I could contact his office with any further questions, and a packet that ordered blood work, and had my trio appointments booked for July. The blood work could be done in the lab at the hospital which was right around the corner. It wasn't fasting, so I was in and out of there very quickly as well.

I had my trio appointments in July with the social worker, dietitian and nurse.

Social Worker: Basically wanted to make sure I had a good support system in place, who knew about the surgery, where they supportive? Do I have any stress in my life, or big life changes coming up? Why did I want this surgery? What were my expectations? Did I have someone to help me after the surgery? Did I understand how the surgery worked? Did I understand it was a tool, and I would be required to make changes. Did I understand the costs associated with the surgery, did I have private insurance or am I paying for things out of pocket? (Meds, supplements, vits ect) Could I afford this cost? Did I understand the possible complications/side effects, did I understand I could die from this surgery? There were tons of questions. Basically they want to make sure that you are making a sound decision, you know what you're in for, you have a network to support you through it, and won't (completely) lose your sh*t after. ;)

Dietitian: Went over food log, made recommendations or habits or things that should be changed or excluded from a regular diet. Answered any diet questions or food questions you had about once you were back on real foods. I generally am a very healthy eater, and since February, have been greatly changing what I was eating in general terms of breads, pastas, and cutting out most sugars so there wasn't much of an issue with my food log. I am not sure if others had different or more difficult experiences.

Nurse: Goes over all your blood work results and info from your GP. Gives you TONS of information to read over in terms of what drugs you won't be able to take, when you will be taking your supplements, which types you need and you will most likely need after. She had suggested products all lined up for me to take pics of so I had references. She also told me which vits I needed to increase to get my levels optimal for surgery.

My appointment with Dr. Glazer is this month, and hopefully he won't need any further tests. I think if you can call right away to get an appointment with him after you see the surgeon, or at least close to your trio you could cut down some time.

I had tried to bump my appointments up to no avail. I hope I can get on the cancellation list for surgery tho!

I hope that helps figure out how things flow... it feels like a ton of waiting I know... I would have been ready for surgery in February!! ;P I guess it just feels like forever once you've made your mind up. Lets get this party started!! puts on her bariatric party hat

Louise ;)

HW 332 CW 306 GW 165

MrsStephens
on 8/4/17 8:57 am

Thank you so much for all of this information!! My worry at this point is if I star****ching what I'm eating again my weight will drop and I won't qualify anymore. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I really feel this is my only option, and it will correct my GERD which is absolutely painful at times, and only getting worse. I will let you know how I progress through this. Trying to patiently wait for my phone call or mailing with my orientation date :)

Most Active
Recent Topics