First 1-1 appointment done - excited?!

anncha
on 12/6/17 9:29 am

Hey,

I had my first 1-1 appointment today with the physio and it was a really positive experience. Our kids go to the same school, we have lots in common and she was super, all around, lovely. I want to be her friend lol

She went through my information pack that I had to complete way back when and spoke to me about each stage and what I'd written. She said things like "I'm not a social worker but..." and "I'm not a nurse but in my experience..."

I talked to her about a lot of the worries I've got about the process and she set my mind at ease hugely. She said "although my opinion doesn't carry much weight - pun totally intended, you're an excellent candidate for this surgery and I think it'll change your whole life".

I can't wait to see the dietician and social worker on Friday (Nurse Practitioner and Pharmacist is on Dec 21st).

I feel exceptionally positive about this whole journey in a way I hadn't before.

Referral to Sudbury: April 28th 2017, Orientation: July 19th 2017, 1:1's: Dec 14th 2017, Follow up with NP: Jan 9th OTN: Jan 18th, Pre-Op: Feb 12th, Surgery: Feb 27th - 2 weeks of Opti. Hospital: St. Joseph's TO with Dr Sullivan.

Height: 5'11, age 38. SW: 323lb CW:196lb

Kathy1212
on 12/6/17 12:23 pm

I'm so glad you had such a positive experience and that you feel good about this decision!

It really will change your life, in a good way. Good luck with your next few appointments. Hopefully the other people will be as nice as the first one, but if not, don't let anyone dissuade you. When I had my pre op appointments, my social worker lady was out and out rude and snarky and it put me off a bit, but I'm so glad I didn't let her change my mind. She was rude the next two times we met, but weirdly, was super positive the last time we met. Maybe she was going through some personal stuff earlier on.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

anncha
on 12/6/17 1:05 pm

One of the SW who we saw at the orientation wasn't very pleasant. I'm hopeful it's not her that I see on Friday. She was a really big lady size wise and it felt like she was being super judgemental to us in the class for looking to have the surgery (more her own issues than mine I'm sure). I'm more worried the nurse now I think (in case she asks for a sleep study which will delay me months - although the physio doesn't think she will).

I'm totally my own worst enemy when it comes to worrying and overthinking. I need to keep telling myself they aren't going out of their way to reject me for the surgery, they just want to make sure I'm a good candidate for me and for them. It's hard though.

Referral to Sudbury: April 28th 2017, Orientation: July 19th 2017, 1:1's: Dec 14th 2017, Follow up with NP: Jan 9th OTN: Jan 18th, Pre-Op: Feb 12th, Surgery: Feb 27th - 2 weeks of Opti. Hospital: St. Joseph's TO with Dr Sullivan.

Height: 5'11, age 38. SW: 323lb CW:196lb

rce884
on 12/6/17 12:30 pm
RNY on 09/05/17

positive experiences mean so much in this journey. i am glad you found someone to talk to about your concerns and ideas.

you are on your way now!

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday!

Highest weight 311/ Weight day of surgery 271/One Month 257/ Two Months 247.5 / Three Months 241/ Four months 234/ Five months 228

oneatatime
on 12/6/17 6:12 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

Hooray anncha!! You're in your way, finally!! I hope things go quickly and smoothly for you. And with any luck, you won't need a sleep test. fingers crossed

As you said, judgmental people are just a reflection of their own stuff going on with themselves. Don't let that crap get to you. Your journey is going to be amazing. Stay positive no matter what!!! You got this!!!

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

Most Active
Recent Topics