Light cardio at home?

Kaylar
on 3/8/18 1:37 pm - Toronto, On

Hey all,

I'm five months out, so I'm not quite at the point where I can start working out normally. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for light cardio to do at home? Maybe an exercise video? Preferably something that doesn't involve much jumping, since I don't want to disturb people downstairs.

I prefer to work out at home, cuz gyms haven't really been a good place for me, but I don't want to actually buy a treadmill until I'm already in the habit of exercising regularly, otherwise it'll probably end up being a waste of money.

Anyway, all suggestions welcome! Hope you're doing well!

Kayla

LeslieCL
on 3/8/18 3:27 pm

I know exactly how you feel. Although I have started walking, when it's a crappy day, I do cardio with one of those step benches. I just step on and off in various patterns and move my arms around. It is quite aerobic and gets my heart rate up. You also need to strengthen your muscles and you can do that with leg raises, squats etc. And while I can't do push ups yet, I do "wall-outs" which is pushing myself out from the wall or the kitchen counter. You can use your body weight as resistance.

Referred January 7/17, Orientation Humber May 28/17, Meet Dr. August 4/17, TRIO November 3/17, Internist November 21/17, Surgeon again December 21/17, Pre-op assessment January 4/18 and Surgery January 12/18.

SweetRide1
on 3/8/18 3:48 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

I was going to suggest walking stairs.

Maybe get a zumba DVD and do some light moves?

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

Daisydoo02
on 3/8/18 4:59 pm - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Good for you for wanting to take the next step towards getting healthy, that is really awesome.

I have one word for you "YouTube!" There are just about a gazillion FREE videos on youtube that you can search for and have a blast working out at home.

Just plug in the search function on youtube something like "working out at home," "workouts with my own body weight," something like that.

And of course you don't have to pay for a gym membership you can walk around your neighborhood, start taking the stairs at work, do squats, lunges, planks, biceps with soup cans.

The great thing about youtube is you can search for a specific exercise, such as

1. warm up/stretching
  2. cardio
  3. legs
  4. arms
  5. butt
  6. cool down
  7. yoga
  8. pilates

And on and on and you can do it all in the comfort of your home!

Best of luck and I hope you find some things you enjoy to do at home!

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Tuktu
on 3/9/18 6:45 am
RNY on 03/07/17

I like Leslie Sansone's walking videos - no jumping so good for apartment workouts and you don't need alot of space for them. She's cheery and upbeat and its a good entry level work out that isn't too intimidating. Good luck!!

Most Active
Recent Topics