Why Opti?

laisheavenbound
on 9/9/18 9:34 am - Parksville BC, Canada
VSG on 09/17/18

I am on week 2 of Opti and I agree it sucks but it works shrinking our liver and bowel because nothing is in it. I add 3 cups of cold water and 4 ice cubes then blend on Ice crush for at least a minute

LA

(deactivated member)
on 9/7/18 7:12 pm - Windsor, Canada
VSG on 08/27/18

I know how you feel ... I had to do 4 weeks of Opti and hated it. I found that adding at least twice as much cold water as they suggested really helped. I still had to force myself to get the vanilla down, but the chocolate wasn't too too bad like that. In the end I have 15 packets left over. However, the last week, I made myself drink all four every day no matter what. You need the protein to promote healing after surgery.

I get it; it truly sucks. However, in the grand scheme of things, it's a very short period of time, and soon enough you never have to touch the stuff again. Good luck in your journey.

SweetRide1
on 9/8/18 4:24 am
RNY on 01/16/18

I didn't like it either. I only managed to get 3 in a day and I was allowed veggies (restricted amounts though). It's a tough haul for sure. Some people actually think that the Opti phase is the hardest part of the whole process.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

Diminishing Dawn
on 9/8/18 7:43 pm - Windsor, Canada

Because the centers know that if you give people an inch, they will take a mile. Optifast is a perfect blend of all macro nutrients and it's plug and play. There's no interpretation required.

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

BattlecryForever
on 9/9/18 4:51 pm

At least in other countries, there are a variety of Opti products, so instead of 4 shakes a day, you can have an opti breakfast bar, opti soup, etc. That would make more sense.

Chrissyq333
on 9/11/18 7:31 am - Sudbury, ON
RNY on 10/29/18

I have to do the sparing high protein diet because of my allergy with sucralose/aspartame. It's also a challenge because I am allergic to eggs. I had mentioned to my dietitian about an all natural (with stevia) powder, but she found that it didn't quite have enough of the nutrition for her liking and decided on this plan for me. I think all the centers are different and do whats best for you.

Referral date: March 20, 2018 Orientation Date: May 30, 2018 Surgery date: October 29, 2018 with Dr Rotstein at St Micheal's in Toronto.

Most Active
Recent Topics