Week 4.

JessShearon
on 2/1/19 6:08 am
RNY on 01/08/19

Hey everyone! I am 4 weeks post op as of today. Everything is going amazing. I have no pain or discomfort and I'm losing weight fast. My only issue is that I'm afraid of trying new foods. I'm allowed some new foods like mashed potatoes and fruit this week which I will try but I'm afraid of meat. I've been eating fish all week to hit my protein goal but I'm afraid if I eat meat it'll be uncomfortable. Did anyone eat ground meat without issue?

Tuktu
on 2/1/19 7:25 am
RNY on 03/07/17

Congratulations on making it so far! You are doing great - keep with the program. As long as you try just small amounts of new foods at first to test it and see how you tolerate it you should be fine. All indicators show you are doing well and you shouldn't have any problems. I tried to introduce just one new food every few days - that way I could tell what was affecting me if I had a bad reaction. If you try 3 new things at once, it will be hard to say what caused the issues. I had no issues at all with meat. I found chicken was easy as long as I took really small bites slowly.

Best of luck - think of all the good yummy foods you can try now!

Ginnny
on 2/1/19 9:12 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

I had ground beef without issue. Early on was lots of chili. With meat it helps if it is very moist. Use chicken thighs (dark meat) as opposed to the breast as its much drier. Use sauces/gravy to help keep it moist. I would go easy on the potatoes and fruit. I know many plans have them on the menu very early out but they are carbs and best to be avoided during the weight loss/honeymoon phase. You want to lose as much as you can during your honeymoon phase.

You can have deli meat it is often digested easily. Eat slowly and try one new thing for a couple of days and see how you tolerate it.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

SweetRide1
on 2/1/19 4:47 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

I had ground beef without issue. I made shepherd's pie and used cauliflower mash on top, added a little gravy and it was fine. I also ate meatballs with no issue. Just make sure it isn't dry.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

Shrnkin Butterfly
on 2/2/19 11:22 am
RNY on 02/19/19

Hi Jess! Congratulations!

I have a friend who had surgery a year ago and she was having problems with meat. She had come over to visit me and I made her something my grandmother used to make for me when I was little. I thought it would be easier for her. And she lived it and ate that for a while! In my country we call it salpicón. There's more ingredients you can add but I kept it simple for her. We use eye of round meat. Cut it into medium sized cubes and boil it. Add a lil salt while it's boiling. Once I finish boiling it I put the chunks of boiled meat in the bullet(or whatever you use). Once you finish that put it in a bowl or Tupperware and add freshly squeezed lemon juice to taste and add a lil more salt to taste. It sounds really simple but you will be surprised at the taste! And bonus, you can use the broth from boiling the meat, just strain & you get alot out of it. It's meant to be eaten cold and lasts a few days refrigerated. Because the meat is finer than ground beef it will not be too hard on your stomach. Let me know if you decide to try it. Hope it helps. Good luck!

LeslieCL
on 2/3/19 2:00 pm

I had to chew it really thoroughly. And be sure it's moist.

Referred January 7/17, Orientation Humber May 28/17, Meet Dr. August 4/17, TRIO November 3/17, Internist November 21/17, Surgeon again December 21/17, Pre-op assessment January 4/18 and Surgery January 12/18.

Most Active
Recent Topics