post-op emotions

Jbax
on 2/19/19 8:12 pm
RNY on 02/04/19

Hi all - VSG February 4, 2019. I am on an emotional roller coaster. I don't know why I'm having such emotional reactions to all kinds of things - in this case my partner going back to work - I'm in tears and confused about where the emotional reactions are coming from.

Anyone else having this experience? Any advice?

I'm following the plan, eating, drinking, sleeping, walking, vitamins etc as directed.

TIA

Jennifer

SweetRide1
on 2/20/19 3:25 am
RNY on 01/16/18

Good Morning Jennifer,

I think a lot of us have emotions after surgery, it's quite normal.

You may be experiencing hormone dumping. When you hormone dump it can cause all kinds of weird emotional responses and is quite common.

Give it some time. If it persists, contact the clinic and talk to them about it. I'm sure they have a lot of experience with this type of thing.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

Tuktu
on 2/20/19 6:04 am
RNY on 03/07/17

Your body is going through a lot of very quick radical changes and its not the least bit surprising you are having emotional reactions to things. I found I couldn't turn to food for comfort and had to figure out other ways to deal with stress. Keep to the plan and make sure you make notes as to when you are feeling emotional -and talk to your bariatic team if it continues. They are there to help you - you should have a meeting every few weeks at this stage right? So bring it up at the next meeting with them.

Lucile777
on 3/6/19 7:03 pm

The advice is just to accept that your life has changed. No going back. Carry on. The weight will come off. Your life will improve. You will leave the house one day without worrying about having something that fits or having people stare at you. Emotions totally normal. It gets worse on some days. Especially when you begin to vomit after something sets you off. How did you manage to get a VSG? Here in Ontario? Consider yourself lucky. You still have a valve and you don't have to suffer from as much malnutrition. Good luck.

RNY Oct. 27/17. HW 289; SW 285; GW 144; LW: 161 CW: 196 FML: Fighting regain :(

Most Active
Recent Topics