Preop liquid diet (DID YOU CHEAT)

threelilbugs41
on 2/21/19 4:29 am - Canada

I've started my 3 week slimtime(optifast) diet with liquids but I want to know what you guys were eating or drinking within these weeks

crqvingchange
on 2/21/19 5:02 am

I stuck to the Optifast. The vanilla I mixes with lots of ice and decaf coffee crystals, like an iced coffee. Guelph only allowed us to have clear broth once a day, no veggies, just Opti.

I didn't cheat because Guelph made it very clear that the purpose of the Optifast was to shrink your liver and make the surgery less risky. Any carbs are bound with water in the body to create glycogen. This is stored in the liver. Ridding your body of stored glycogen can significantly shrink the liver.

Stay on plan, you've got this.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

lexxiblue
on 2/21/19 5:56 am
RNY on 01/11/12

why would anyone think about cheating??? it's 3 maybe 4 weeks out of your life to be given an opportunity for a new, healthier life... a NEW WAY OF THINKING about eating???

sure it's hard to cut out eating.. to stop the chewing process.. but look at the rewards in the end.. to get healthier!!!

i'm not pointing out that anyone is going to cheat but why even think about it in the beginning??

i just don't understand!

SweetRide1
on 2/21/19 4:43 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

I inadvertently cheated. We were allowed certain vegetables and broth. Spinach wasn't on the list, but I was sure it was.

Every night for dinner I had steamed veggies with lemon and a touch of vinegar. Believe it or not, it was like heaven.

Anyway, I ate spinach every night for 2 weeks and I wasn't supposed to. I realized when I went to the clear fluids that spinach wasn't on the list. Yikes.

Turned out OK, no adverse effects.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

shiney
on 2/22/19 9:19 am, edited 2/22/19 1:20 am

Seriously do not cheat. You're only adding risk to your surgery and it's just not worth it. This is step 1 of a long process, which will require discipline and a lot of changes in mentality and behaviours. I know 3 weeks seems long, but it will pass. The first few days are hard, but then I find most people are in cruise control.

Optifast for me was the hardest of the stages. I used my time on Optifast to really strengthen my resolve against cravings and prove to myself I can do this. I broke the recovery process down into levels in my mind - for example, level 1 - opti, level 2 - clear liquid, level 3 - liquid, level 4 - puree and level 5 - soft diet. I showed myself each level gets easier and easier, and that has in fact been true.

All the best for you on this process! You can do this.

*TWH* Referral - December 2017; Orientation - March 2018; SW Assessment - May 2018; Nurse Practitioner - June 2018; Nutrition Class - June 2018; Psych - August 2018; Dietitian - August 2018; Appt. w/ Surgeon - November 2018; Surgery date - January 2019

Weight loss

Pre-surgery: 14, M1: 18, M2: 9, M3: 8, M4: 10, M5:6 , M6:9

DreamBigLiveHappy
on 3/3/19 5:03 pm
3yearsskinny
on 2/23/19 4:08 am

I was on Optifast for 3 weeks, I had my surgery in Guelph. I was allowed only 1 cup of broth a day, plain decaf tea or coffee, all the water I could drink and Optifast. Never cheated once, because if I did I was only harming myself and risking all the hard work I had put into my journey. The first week was hell.. but then it got easier. At the end, I actually missed Optifast.

If your first thoughts is to post about cheating on Optifast, then maybe you are not ready for this surgery and total life style change. I am now 5 yrs post op. I have maintained my 160 pound weight loss.Dedication and loving my new looks, life and of course health.

Think twice about cheating if you do then you are not ready for this.

ad
on 5/10/19 11:45 am
RNY on 06/12/19

I'm on week 2 of three weeks. I dont feel its got easier and i read somewhere that i wouldnt be hungry after the first few days. Im not starving, but im still hungary. I like that someone likened this to stages, this being the first stage. I will go with that for now, to help my mindset :)

Most Active
Recent Topics