Flavourings

Clara2019
on 3/16/19 7:46 pm
RNY on 05/01/19

Hello everyone; I am new to the group & will begin Optifast April 1. Trying to get body & soul prepped for post-surgery. I am scouting now for protein powders I "like"[taste testing] and have read with interest the posts regarding favourite brands/flavours.

Does anyone have recommendations around flavourings to add to plain protein powders? Saw Jordan's Skinny Mixes in various flavours [0 sugars, 0 carbs, 0 cal] in Homesense. Has anyone used these? Thought next I would head to the health food store to check out basic flavourings like raspberry, orange etc. Any suggestions?

BTW, I've tasted the Optifast. Chocolate is OK, but found the Vanilla much too sweet. Before I commit to purchase my full supply has anyone added flavouring to the vanilla? Worried if I buy just chocolate I may get well & truly sick of it before the surgery.

crqvingchange
on 3/17/19 6:38 pm

I added decaf coffee crystals to both vanilla and chocolate, lots of ice and mixed it up in the Magic Bullet. That helped to cut the sweetness. It's just a short time on Opti. You've got this.

Try to avoid buying big tubs of protein powder pre-op. Your tastes will probably change very quickly after surgery. Bulk Barn sells bulk vanilla, unflavoured, and chocolate whey protein powder. Try a small amount and see if you like it. DO NOT boil whey powder, it will curdle and turn gross.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

SweetRide1
on 3/24/19 2:16 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

I added peppermint and orange extracts to both the chocolate and vanilla.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

StevesGal
on 3/25/19 1:10 pm - Hamilton, Canada

When I was on Optifast, I used LorAnn Oils as a flavour booster. They are available at Bulk Barn (usually at the checkout lines). The bottles are very tiny (a literal "dram"), so they do that to prevent theft. They come in many flavours and you don't need to add a lot. Just a few drops gives a huge boost of flavour.

Also, I used to either purchase a small decaf coffee from Tim's and put it in the fridge to chill. Then mix it with the chocolate Optifast and add ice - Iced Coffee! Or freeze some of the coffee into ice cubes and blend them in instead of regular ice - Iced Capp!

Most importantly, use ALL of the Optifast, regardless of how it tastes (some don't like it - I didn't mind it). It's a prescription and needs to be used to begin your journey. If it was 'drink this or you'll die', you'd drink it, right? Same idea. It's only for a few weeks, not a lifetime. You can do it!

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.

Most Active
Recent Topics