Blood Loss during surgery

ANGIE934
on 4/14/09 2:09 am
HI RUTH, I WAS ALSO ONE OF THE UNLUCKY ONES I LOSE A LOT OF BLOOD, BUT MY DR'S SAID IT WAS BECAUSE THEY HAD TO TAKE SO MUCH OFF. I ONLY HAD A T.T MY DR'S WOULDN'T DO MY LEGS & THIGHS AT THE SAME TIMES SO I AM NOT GETTING THEM DONE AT ALL. GOOD LUCK TO YOU A DON'T FORGET EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT.     

ANGIE934                                                                                 
cbhjr98
on 4/14/09 4:52 am
Ruth,

Take your iron (see vitalady.com for the kinds we can absorb and what kind is useless) and B12 make sure you start early to get them as high as possible pre-surgery. Those are the biggies that will affect your blood count (and cause anemia if you dont have enough of them).

My B12 level was great, my iron was just 'average', which is what is slowing down regeneration right now.

Good luck!!!!!!  And you're smart for researching it before hand.

(One note: I made sure I got my B12 shot within 48 hrs of surgery so that the energy effect would persist at the highest levels during those critical days right after surgery. Dont know if it helped, but I think it did.)

Cass

Starting BMI under 45? Join us on The Lightweight Board. 
HW:257ish / SW:205 / CW:110.4 / GW:119.99
(deactivated member)
on 4/14/09 5:06 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Thank you, this is a big help!
MissKim
on 4/14/09 6:47 am - Hayward, CA
Anyone that had a DS (especially - may need to ask your doc if you are RNY) MUST take a high dose of dry form vitamin K before surgery.  I think my DS surgeon's office (www.paclap.com) recommends taking it for 2 weeks, but I could be remembering wrong... might be 2 months.

Since we (DSers) malabsorb fats, and the testing for K is prohibatively expensive, just taking it for a few weeks is the best prevention.  K helps your clotting, so it helps limit the blood loss.

-Kim
(deactivated member)
on 4/14/09 6:55 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Thanks for the tip on K helping with clotting....I'd never heard that before.

I didn't have WLS but I am sure benefiting from all the great knowledge everyone has.
Thanks!!!!
MissKim
on 4/14/09 6:59 am, edited 4/14/09 6:59 am - Hayward, CA
One *can* overdose on K, so if you don't have the malabsorption, I wouldn't take a megadose/dry K.  But taking what you find at whole foods 'regular' type dose would probably be fine. 

As with anything,  it's probably best to check with your PCP or plastic surgeon before starting new supplements.
(deactivated member)
on 4/14/09 7:20 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Thanks!!!
Most Active