Liposuction and WLS -- do they go together?

ericklein
on 6/30/10 9:11 am - Mission Viejo, CA
Hi. We were working on an article on liposuction in the weight loss surgery community and I was wondering if anyone had any advice to share.

Do you know anyone who had lipo before WLS?
Do you know anyone who had lipo after WLS but before more major plastic surgery?
Any experience with lipo after major plastic surgery?

I'dlove toknow what your experience was. I've heard lipo criticized at all stages as a temporary easy way out in contrast to more healthstyle-oriented fine tuning efforts. Alternatively it's obviously very very common in the world at large, so, no reason why WLS patients should be less likely to take advantages of the same potential benefits that everyone else does.

What do you think?
shellymor
on 6/30/10 10:54 am - TX
I had minimal lipo done recently in conjunction with my plastics. It was for body contouring purposes. It was taken to be fat injections which he put back in me. I don't think lipo is a substitute for losing weight, but I do think it is an important component in many plastic surgery processes.
susandoeshair
on 7/29/10 9:53 am - Alexander, AR
I'll be having plastic surgery in about six weeks and I believe that the doctor will do some while he's doing my tummy tuck. There isn't much fat left on me, just a pooch so I guess we'll wait and see!

I don't have a problem with anyone doing what types of procedures makes them feel their journies are complete.

Susan

Melissa M.
on 6/30/10 1:44 pm - Seabrook, TX
I agree with Shelly. Lipo is common to help with body contouring during PS. I also know that it is common to help get rid of fat deposits that is difficult to lose no matter how much exercise you do or how much weight has been lost. I had some major pockets of fat in my inner knees that just remained after I lost my weight. My dr said it was solid fat and no matter how much I lost, they wouldn't go away so I had them lipod.

I also know of some people who have had lipo before PS because it would help give better results once they had their PS. For example, a dr may recommend getting lipo in your abdomen area prior to doing a tummy tuck because it will give better results after the TT. I also heard of one lady having lipo on her back prior to her LBL as well. So really it depends on what your surgeon advises and whether or not it will help with your final results.

I had a LBL and when I had my second round of surgery my dr did lipo my sides a little since he was going to revise my vertical incision above my belly button.

Hope that helps!
Melissa
Duodenal Switch - July 2006
Baylor Residency Program - Houston, TX -
June 2009/March 2010
not_quite_Barbie
on 6/30/10 10:08 pm
I haven't had any lipo, but then my BMI is 20 so I don't have a lot of fat to spare anymore. I did as my PS about it before my LBL because I thought my sadlebags were full of fat but he said "No, that's tissue" and he did smooth it all out just by pulling the skin up.

Just chiming in because I believe lipo should be used only to assist contouring and not as a weight loss method. If you have to use lipo to lose weight then you are not going to keep it off.
5'4" start weight 233, current 122 lb.
RNY 9/07
TT/BA 3/09
LBL 4/10
Renee2007
on 6/30/10 11:47 pm - Central, FL
I was going to just echo what Melissa said. I know of some people that had lipo prior to plastic surgery so it would offer better results. The less fat there is when doing the plastics procedures the better the outcome. One thing that a lot of people don't realize is that lipo will create more loose skin when it's not done in conjunction with plastic surgery. There's also a big misconception about lipo. Many people think it's a simple and easy procedure that they will have done and just bounce right back from. That was not my experience at all and from what I've seen others say, it was not their experience either. Lipo is hard on your body. It is very painful and it takes a long time to fully heal.

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

shoegirl1023
on 7/1/10 6:25 am - Solon, OH
 I had a full blown tummy tuck with muscle tightening and a little lipo was done but nothing major.

JOANNE 
OH Support Group Leader
My local support group meets the 2nd Tuesday of each month - please message me for further information

We are on a continuous journey without a destination

Teresa V.
on 7/1/10 6:27 am - Forney, TX
I had smart lipo done on my outter thighs. I really need a lower body lift, so I'm really not 100% thrilled with my results. They are still lumpy, but they are a lot smaller.

ObesityHelp Support Group Leader

Paige E.
on 7/1/10 6:49 am - TX
The majority of people I know (including myself) had lipo done during PS.  When I had my lower body lift my doctor did some lipo on my stomach for contouring purposes.  I think it's a viable option for those problem areas that we all tend to have!!  I don't think I know anyone (no matter how skinny they are) that doesn't have at least one area where they tend to accumulate "fat" no matter how much exercise they do!!!  I had a high school friend that was always stick thin... except for her outer thighs... they were huge and no matter what she did she could never get rid of them.  Now days lipo can help eliminate those problem areas.  

~Paige~  -155lbs    (lovin' my band)   
At GOAL and BMI is healthy!!

ext201rn
on 7/1/10 6:56 am - glendive, MT
I have  not heard of anyone that I know that has had Lipo,, But as always network with fellow WLS people and check the forums,  consult you Dr. and the oprofessionals, they will have information or sources for you

ron
Most Active