Questions from 22 yr old, New to forum!

cathrynsrealm
on 12/19/06 5:47 am - Corbin, KY
I just realized this forum existed, and this might be kinda long, but please bear with me. I've read as many entries as I can read, and I'm not seeing any exact answers.

I'm 22 years old, 405 lbs. I will be having RNY surgery on January the 8th. I've been married for over 5 years now, however, so I'm not really your typical 22 year old. Basically, I am wondering if there's hope for me to ever be able to become regular as far as menstrual cycles are concerned. I hope this, because one day soon, I would love to start a family. However, due to having PCOS (which I have unfortunately neglected in recent years) I haven't had a period since age 16 (6 years).

Like I said before, I've read a lot of threads in this forum, and many women seem to indicate that even though they have PCOS and have not had a period in many years, that they "return" after surgery. Now, I don't want to get my hopes up, but is this a realistic possibility for someone my size and history?

Can anyone share their experience, if similar?

-Cathryn EDIT on 1/6/07: Surgery postponed to January 26th!
Soule
on 12/19/06 9:28 am - Charlotte, NC
Well Cathryn, I'm definitely not going to get your hopes up.... PCOS is a very different syndrome in each woman that has it.... what happens to one woman after surgery, might not necessarily happen to the next woman... But I think in our age bracket, theres a very good chance that your periods will normalize. But again, I'm just speaking opinion here.... You've probably seen my post already if you've read that far back.... I was diagnosed with PCOS around 11 or 12 years old.... never started on progesterone until I was about 16 or so... and still- I was never consistant about taking it then (I sometimes just didnt take it for a year or more) so I too had spells where I neglected it too... My first cycle came 31 days after my surgery, and I've been regular since surgery (every 29-31 days). And more than obvious signs that I ovulate too,which of course I have never been able to do... But right now, dont stress about it!!! I know its easier said than done... but I was sitting in your shoes at one time so I know how the worry hits you.... But I honestly think you'll be fine...
cathrynsrealm
on 12/19/06 9:50 am - Corbin, KY
Thank you, Soule. I appreciate your reply. I will consider, of course, that every woman is different, but it is nice to know that there is a good chance. I had honestly not even considered ever having children because I thought there was just no chance. But hearing stories like yours and a couple others, it just makes me glad that I'm having this surgery sooner than later. :) Thanks again.
Nikki Knull
on 1/5/07 8:00 pm - carrier mills, IL
Hi my name is Nikki~    I am 23 yrs old and I also have PCOS.  I had WLS 11/29/06 and finally had a period by myself last month!!!! It was so exciting!!!!!! I was diagnosed in june of 2005 and was put o provera (maybe u should ask ur Dr. about it) and had regular visits from aunt flo while taking it every month.  I was 349lbs b 4 WLS and was trying 2 get pregnant so i know exactly how u feel!!! I was told that I should have WLS in order 2 get off the excess weight I couldn't loose b cuz of the PCOS in order to get pregnant!!! My D.r said that as I loose weight my PCOS symptoms will lesson dramaticly and I will get regular visits from aunt flo on my own without the provera!!! I was also taking 1500mgs of glucophage (4 the PCOS w/IR) b 4 WLS and was taken off of it in the hospital!!! So it is differant with every 1 but u should b and fel better after WLS!! Good luck on ur Surgery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  And I hope that u get the family u want soon after!!! If u have n e more questions dont hesitate 2 ask!!! U can add me as ur friend if u'd like...I m glad 2 finally find some 1 close 2 my age whose going through the same thing I m!!!!!!

wife_mommy.gif picture by sassyred_02 Happily_Married.gif picture by sassyred_02 2most.gif picture by sassyred_02

cathrynsrealm
on 1/6/07 2:36 am, edited 1/6/07 2:43 am - Corbin, KY
Thank you Nikki. I really appreciate your response. You and so many others here give me hope. Congrats on your weight loss. That's incredible, and much luck to you in the future. I am very optimistic about my future.
Pitoune
on 1/9/07 8:49 pm - Montréal, Canada
Hi Cathryn, I also have PCOS and have been diagnosed several years ago, but I didn't have any treatment for it and the last year had about 2 periods on my own... The funny thing is the day before surgery I started a very light period  of all times to have one!!!  And since then/post-op have had one every month... So I guess the weight loss is helping my hormones along... Good luck on your upcoming surgery!!! Take Care
*~*Pitoune*~*
preview image

cathrynsrealm
on 1/11/07 3:48 am - Corbin, KY
Thank you for your reply. You guys have helped me stay optimistic. Please see my follow-up post in this thread.
cathrynsrealm
on 1/11/07 3:47 am - Corbin, KY
Well, I cannot believe this, but after 6 years I started today. :S 6 YEARS AND TODAY IT HAPPENED. I haven't even had surgery yet, I have just been losing a lot of weight on my pre-op diet. So... yay? :) PS thanks to everyone for their replies
melsreturn
on 1/17/07 1:30 pm - Madison, TN
Yayyyy!  Congrats on starting on your own!  When its been 6 years, that is a big thing to celebrate!  The weight loss, even if it may seem insignificant, is a huge factor in starting your period.... best of luck.

Christal C.
on 2/27/07 3:14 am - Wichita, KS
Congratulations on doing so well on your pre-op diet. I never have regular periods and can even skip several months at a time. I was on normal birth control pills and they really helped with consistency. I am hoping that after the surgery they will become more consistent again without medication...but you never really know how the surgery is going to effect you. Good luck with everything!    ~Christal/dionysus_star
Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1070 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 3022 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3625 views