Life Changing Article (95.8 lbs lost in 5 months)

ashdd81
on 7/14/08 1:23 pm, edited 7/14/08 1:31 pm - Long Beach, MS
VSG on 02/28/22

I have been overweight or obese basically all my life. I have also had dark skin patches for a long time, skin tags, and other symptoms of PCOS. At the age of 8, I was 142 lbs. By the start of high school, I was around 250 lbs. By the time I graduated high school, I weighed somewhere in the neighborhood of 330 lbs.  By 2002, I was 383 lbs. In 2004, I was 396 lbs. As of April of 2007, I was around 450 lbs. I had lost 30 lbs. between April of 2007 and February of 2008. Since February of 2008, I have lost 95.8 lbs making a total of 125.8 lbs lost when including the pre-diet weight loss of 30 lbs.

When I was in middle school the dark patches of skin started to become noticeable. The skin around the base of my neck always looked dirty, I was always being told to go back and scrub around my neck even when I said that I already did. That is when a rumor started going around the school that I never bathed which was untrue because I bathed daily.  I was called various names through my middle school and high school years, some of which were very nasty (though I didn’t know it at the time). When I was 23, I was walking to my car in a parking lot after leaving a store I had to walk around an SUV that was sticking out of the parking space into the middle of the driving lane, and a woman (who was almost as heavy as I) hollered out of a car window, “Move over 18 wheeler.”         In March of 2007, I was in a great deal of pain. It turned out to be ovarian cysts. I was hospitalized that month for a day.  With the weight that I had gained and the problem with cysts that I was having and other health problems that I have had, I have had to drop my college courses a few times putting me behind in my schooling to where I am 27 and have yet to finish my undergraduate degree. I was so heavy that I was finding it hard to walk or stand for long periods of time.
        In 2004 (when I was 23) I started considering weight loss surgery. In February of 2006 I started working toward getting weight loss surgery. As of the 21st February of 2008, I had an appointment to get the ball rolling to possibly have lap band surgery by the summer. In early February, I saw an article in First Magazine that talked about a diet using whey and soy protein. The woman in the article had to lose what I weighed at the start of my diet which was 420 lbs. I decided to go ahead and try it before I went through with the surgery. In my first week on the diet I lost 10.8 lbs. The dark patches of skin started fading. I still have some, but they are fading as well. My skin and hair became shinier. My hair became fuller. The facial hair has reduced some.  In 5 months, I have lost 5 sizes. I went from a size 32 to a size 24.

young3097
on 7/23/08 1:51 am - Adrian, MI
Hi ash...

This is a remarkable story, one that shows what a person can do if they are very determined.  It's so hard to be a child that is overweight or obese.  I always was overweight, but yet I was popular (by overweight I mean I weighed around 175 in high school), but I went with the popular crowd.  I remember a girl, who we went to school with at a combined afternoon vocational school, she was actually from another school, Carrie was her name.  She had the ring around her neck, was very large, probably 250+ pounds and she was made fun of all the time.  But such a sweet girl.  But I think as people get older they mature and hopefully won't inflict such pain.  However there are so many hateful people in this world, we can't get rid of them all. 

It really takes a much tougher person that me to do what you are doing.  I wish you much strength and self-confidence.  I will pray for you too.

Sarah
kaat14
on 9/17/08 2:40 am - Greenville, SC

I read some of that article but it wasn't my magazine and I don't remember everything in it.  I am interested in learning what exactly you are doing or getting a copy of that article.  I am currently 334 pounds (OMG..I can't believe I just openly told everyone my weight) and have a multitude of medical problems including a severe case of PCOS.  I am scheduled to meet with the surgeon next week to discuss Gastric Bypass.  At this point, I am willing to do anything to lose.  I have tried other diets, plans, etc but with no success.  I never really have any success.  I will lose 10 pounds or so and gain it right back while still doing the program, diet, etc.  Case in point, I have been following a low fat diet and began exercising recently.  I lost around 10 pounds but gained it back in 2 days.  My PCP said it was water gain but I haven't changed anything and I drink only water and it still has not come back off.

So, if you know where I can get a copy of that article and, if you are willing, then let me know what you have been doing I would greatly appreciate it!!

KAAT 

Get busy living....or get busy dying!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Supplements
Mandee C. · 3 replies · 1057 views
momof4Nready4me · 4 replies · 3009 views
Teenager with PCOS
briceand4 · 0 replies · 3617 views