NOT hungry?

jla734
on 8/28/08 7:19 am, edited 9/3/08 11:27 am - DE

Hi,
 I was banded 2 days ago and the sight and smell of food makes me sick to my stomach. I DON"T want to eat and have awful gas pains. I know I HAVE to eat but am FORCING myself. Is this normal? I am also having trouble sleeping. I have to be careful with the pain meds as I have low blood pressure and it tends to make it go lower. The breathing exercise is even hard for me. What is going on I am considered a low risk for this surgery but feel awful.

The crazy thing is I felt fine in the hospital but feel bad now that I am home. Please any advice?

http://www.obesityhelp.com/shared/flash/WeightHistoryChart/WeightHistoryChart.swf?username=jla734"> name="quality" value="high">http://www.obesityhelp.com/shared/flash/WeightHistoryChart/W eightHistoryChart.swf?username=jla734" quality="high" width="585" height="360">

mindy0418
on 8/28/08 10:19 am - Newark, DE
Hi and Congratulations!

I was banded on Monday and I can tell you that alot of what your feeling is normal. I almost felt like I didn't have the surgery when I was in the hospital!  When I got home was when the fun started.  I came home on Tuesday afternoon and didn't want to eat at all. Yesterday was a little bit better and today I got almost all my feeling of eating back so it does take time. I might give it another day or two to see if it gets better. Our stomachs were put under alot of stress and needs some time to heal and the gas pressure doesn't help either.  If you can keep water down my advise is to drink lots of water to stay hydrated. I have spent the last two days with a cup of water in my hand and I sip all day long.

As for the gas pains the only thing that helped me was to walk..... alot!  My gas pain**** the shoulder blades and came in waves. As soon as I felt the pain coming on I would get up and walk around. For me the walking was the only thing that helped.

Just remember that everyone is different and our bodies can surprisingly act differently with each situation. I had a foot surgery that was easier than this one but caused me far more pain and discomfort. You just never know how your body will react.

Lastly, trust your instincts. If you think something is remotely not right- call your surgeon.

jla734
on 8/28/08 2:03 pm - DE
  I have been walking. Dr Wynn did my surgery and Dr Peters assisted. They are EXCELLENT doctors. What hospital were you in? I went to Saint Frances. The people there were so friendly.
Lynn B.
on 8/28/08 7:51 pm - Carrollton, GA
Stay on liquids for the first two weeks then you will graduate to mushies...at least that is what I did...and it worked like a charm.  I was not hungry for nearly two weeks either, and that's really good since your stomach is adjusting to the band right now and needs this time to heal...you will be hungry after this two week liquid diet--trust me...make sure you have a food processor and be prepared to really mush your food for around three weeks after your two weeks liquid diet...after that you will be able to eat more solid foods...just make sure you follow the diet quidelines for bandsters..I've had my first fill at 6 weeks out and right now I readjusted to it and I am working the band as it's intended...I find some days I am more hungry than others, but I am able to eat just fine...I have a problem with eating too fast so that's my cross to bear...I have my timer, but I find if I wait three minutes between each bite I can't get finished in a proper time or even eat anything while it's still warm...so I've adjusted it a bit to find that happy medium for me... which means that I am learning to "listen" to my band...you will too...it takes time...I have on point of caution for you ... if you have a diet stating you can eat a scrambled egg on your mushies, I wouldn't attempt it on the first day...I had a "stuck" episode with scrambled egg...try making tuna and chicken salad with boiled eggs using canned white albacore tuna or canned chicken .... smooth it out really well and eat four ounces (if you can, adjust if you can't)...but eat that meat and you will get your strenght back faster.  Now, for eating out, I had no problems ordering a cup of soup and asking the server to have it put in a blender...this works nicely if you say you have just had surgery (you don't have to say what kind) and that you are in recovery and can't eat whole foods yet...they seem to bend over backwards to help you out... Now that I am eating out and eating whole foods again, I usually order fish or Filet Mignon...thankfully my DH and I are in tune and we share a plate...that way I just get a little bit of his food and we both eat well...or if I must get something individual I immediately ask for a small box and adjust my portion so I don't overeat and get sick...it's a plan and you will learn to work it for your own plan...good luck and if you need anything let the board know...we are all in this together...

Size Option: Large Small
Background Option: Light Dark

Cut and paste code for most boards and web pages:

bbCode:
(Message Boards code, FertilityFriend.com's boards, phpBB based boards, Invision Power Board, vBulletin...)

HTML:
(on MySpace, MSN, Web pages, Blogs...)

Facebook:
(Add your ticker to your Facebook.com profile)
Add To Facebook

iGoogle:
(Google Home Page, Google Desktop...)
Add to Google

Check TickerFactory.com's other iGoogle Gadgets for your google personalized home page, google desktop, blogger....

ezCode:
(on ezBoards)

jla734
on 8/29/08 5:23 am - DE
  Thanks Lynn that is very helpful. I wanted this because I have issues with my blood sugar. My Glocose has been decent in the morning. NORMAL levels. I am very excited about that.
Lynn B.
on 8/29/08 6:41 am - Carrollton, GA
I am happy to report that in my second week I came off my metformin .. I am a diabetic...happy to report that because of this surgery I am now in remission...you can keep that glucose level on a happy level by eating these small meals and keep that issue at bay ... or send it into remission...whichever applies....

Size Option: Large Small
Background Option: Light Dark

Cut and paste code for most boards and web pages:

bbCode:
(Message Boards code, FertilityFriend.com's boards, phpBB based boards, Invision Power Board, vBulletin...)

HTML:
(on MySpace, MSN, Web pages, Blogs...)

Facebook:
(Add your ticker to your Facebook.com profile)
Add To Facebook

iGoogle:
(Google Home Page, Google Desktop...)
Add to Google

Check TickerFactory.com's other iGoogle Gadgets for your google personalized home page, google desktop, blogger....

ezCode:
(on ezBoards)

Most Active