Why did you choose the Realize Band???

Tom C.
on 9/10/08 10:38 pm, edited 9/10/08 10:41 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
Crystal,

Firstly, let me say the differences between the Lap Band and Realize band is like the difference between a Honda and Toyota.

With that said, the reason I picked the Realize band* is because it's been around longer then the Lap Band, and in the research I did - I found folks have better results and less complications (ex. port inversion, inflammation, etc) with the Realize band.

There is a great article in last month's Obesity Help magazine which compares the two. You may want to pick it up.

Here is the link: http://images.obesityhelp.com/magfiles/bandingoptions.pdf

Good luck on your decision !!

* - In 1985, the Swedish Adjustable Gastric Band (SAGB) was released within Scandinavian countries, but it was not done laparoscopic. In 1992, the SAGB was tested to be implemented using laparoscopic techniques in Switzerland, Italy and Germany. I***** the SAGB was done through-out Europe. Around 2004, Johnson and Johnson began working in conjunction with the SAGB parent company. In 2007, the FDA finally approved of the SAGB - which by then was renamed by J & J to the Realize Band
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
knickerbocker
on 9/12/08 6:53 am - MI
The nurse at my surgeons office says people with the realize report feeling less hungry on a normal basis vs the lap-band.  She has no idea why, but thinks it could be because of the wider band.
JLC88
on 9/25/08 6:53 am
I chose the realize band for no other reason than the port.  It's much lower profile than the lap band port.  Lap band makes a lower profile port that can replace the original one, once you have lost some weight, but it still seemd pretty tall to me.  And it seemed silly to go into the whole thing, knowing that I would need another procedure down the road.  I was worried about the port being noticeable, as I didn't tell many people about my WLS.

I think either band is a good choice.  You have to decide which is best for you.  I don't think there is one good choice for everyone.  Do some research and one will seem right for you personally.  Good luck!
Most Active