Kinda freaked out

tvckmiller
on 9/24/08 8:28 am
I am scheduled to have my band (Realize) surgery on the Tuesday the 30th and I am still a little freaked out because I am reading that prednisone is contraindicated with the band.  I am on long term steroid treatment due to Kidney Transplant.  The doc knows this because I initially wanted the RNY and he refused due to the steroids. 

Any reason I should be freaked out?  My pre op discussion is Thursday, Sept 25th and I am afraid If I express too much concern he won't do it and if I don't, I could set myself up for a lot of complications.  I am also a little unsettled about what I am and am not going to be able to eat. My favorite foods are:

Mexican,  Italian, Chinese, Seafood, as well as steak, chili, brown beans, pizza.  I know that pretty much is everything right.  I am having this band surgery because the meds I am on make me eat waaaaay too much and late at night.  I am hungry all the time.  BUT, after transplant I am diabetic, due to the anti-rejection meds mostly and I have always had high blood pressure.  It seems to me that my weight is going to be a life long issue if I don't get help. If I am going to live a life that may be comprimised due to kidney issues, I would like to at least be thin and be able to go out and play with the kids instead of giving them excuses all the time.  I just don't have any energy now.  Also, since I am on a forum a no one can see me, I have ED issues due to the weight and all the meds.  I may be able to get rid of the diabetis and high blood pressure meds after I lose some weight. 

Any guys out there have similar issues?  Any better after the band? I hope so because my health is not all that's suffering here.  Anyhooo, I digress so I'll end this.  Thanks for any responses.
reillye
on 9/24/08 11:19 am
You may well be in a positioni that the risks of having a band and taking prednisone are less than the risks of not losing weight.  Talk to your doctor.  Ask him why pred is contraindicated.  That may give you some piece of mind.

I've had my band for ... 9 months and can eat all of the things you mentioned.  I only get stuck when I don't chew enough.  I can eat anything.  (Ok, really mushy bread is asking for trouble.  I have to take small bites of that.)  The secret is CHEW CHEW CHEW.

Best of luck to you.
Eileen

bornagain3
on 9/26/08 11:59 pm - Scottsville, VA
Hi, there.

You are scheduled to have your procedure the day after mine.

I know my weight will be a live long struggle, even with the band.  But I am hoping with the band it will be a little easier. I know I can't do it without it.

Keep in touch.

Bornagain3
Most Active