Surgery is in 8 days-getting scared & concerns???

Teresa J.
on 9/29/08 12:04 pm - York, NE
My surgery is in 8 days (10/01/2008).  My doctor did not require me to use any specific diet, but I went on one myself where four weeks ago.  I started replacing 1 meal with liquid protein, then three weeks ago I replaced 2 meals with liquid protein, then last week I started on the 6 a day plan with only eating about 1/2 to 1 cup of food 6 times a day, when I could.  This is really hard to do, come to find out.  Tomorrow, I am going to start just using clear to full liquids for my meals with protein drinks as well.  I really love all of the Unjury and Nectar drinks--they are awesome tasting.  My concern is that for instance like 2 days ago, I only had about 500 calories and was trying to eat/drink and just could not do it.  I just felt full all day long. 

This has happened more than once.  Today was kind of the same thing, but I forced myself to get a few more calories and at least 60 grams of protein in.  Yesterday, I ate a little too much calorie wise, but small meals with high calories (which was not a good thing). 

My question and thought is that if I can do this now, by hardly eating anything, on a daily basis, why haven't I been able to do this for the past however many years.  I question why I am having this surgery--I know, I know--I'm having second thoughts now that it is coming down to the wire.  Yes, I also know I am babbling and really thinking out loud.  Does or has anyone had these similar thoughts and reactions with food prior to surgery?

Thank you so much for letting me babble and look forward to any and all comments.
Love to all and God be with all of us through our trials and tribulations!!!
Teresa J

ssassy480
on 9/30/08 2:50 am - VA
My surgery is on Firday, 10/03/08, two days after yours.  SO congrats on your day tomorrow!!  I feel exactly as you do.  I have been doing great and mentioned to my daughter  last night-why can't i do this myself without surgery.....  So it must be a last minute thought along with other thoughts. But remember we must think long term and this will give us the tool we need to not go back to our old habits.  We will be looking good in the year 2009!!! You are doing so great, keep up the great job.  Suzy
Teresa J.
on 10/2/08 3:34 am - York, NE
I just want you to know that you will be in my prayers tomorrow and may God be with you every step of the way.  Thank you for your words of encouragement as well.
Teresa J

Stacy C.
on 10/1/08 8:39 am - Laguna Hills, CA
Hi there!! Congrats on your upcoming surgery! You're going to do great!!! You have some serious willpower to be able to do the pre-op diet you've been on! I was required to do liquids only for the 2 weeks pre-op and I didn't think I was going to make it! And what a great idea about the gradual change in diet!

I know how you're feeling about the surgery! I can only speak for myself and my feelings about having the Realize band installed. I've never had a problem losing weight. I've lost the same 75 lbs a couple times in my life. My problem is keeping it off. I decided that I needed help with the "after" part. I'm only 1 month out, and I've lost about 20 lbs so far. And because of the band, I know I'm NEVER going to see that 20 lbs again. It's not going to be easy, and I know that I have to work at it, but now I feel like I'm not doing it alone. I have this tool and the support of everyone on this site to help me!

I hope this helps you a little!!

Stacy

9cc Realize Band: 1st Fill 10/27 3cc,  2nd fill 1/22 2cc, 3rd fill 3/5 1.5 cc

Teresa J.
on 10/2/08 3:58 am - York, NE
Hope this finds you doing well and I want to thank you for your words of encouragement.  I just wish I was a little more at ease.  Yesterday I was scheduled for my pre-op appointment with the anesthesiologist, pre-op nurse, and the doctor that is doing my surgery (whom I have never met).  Well, when my husband and I got to the hospital for all the preo-op labs, paperwork, and such, we were told that the doctor was in surgery as well as the anestheisologist and we would not meet them til my surgery on Tuesday morning, 10/07/2008.  I was totally upset.  I am going into this so blind and so stressed.  If it were not for the fact that I have my surgery date set, I would go somewhere else, but I just don't want to have to start all over and wait several more months.  I have been dealing with the for way over a year, now.  I have done research on-line about Dr. Forse and he just has numerous praises from back east where he came from.  As far as the hospital here in Nebraska, I just don't know what to think about the staff there.  I feel like I have just been given the shaft. 

On top of all of this, I talked my husband in going to the monthly WLS support group meeting at the hospital last night. I told him I would like to go to one before my surgery and it was convenient that the meeting was the same day as my appointment.  So, we kept ourselves busy yesterday afternoon around Omaha until time for the meeting.  The beginning of the meeting was great, but then we broke up into groups depending on the surgery type.  Well, within 5 minutes of the group session I was ready to get up, walk out, and forget all of this.  I have been to support groups before and that is what they are suppose to be.  The majority of this group was so negative and there was not any support.  I was hoping that there would be some "old-timers" in the group and the oldest was a 4 month out, who is doing extremely well. 

When talking to them, none of them knew what the Realize Band was so we explained what it was.  The majority of the group complained about how they are not loosing lots of weight, yet for being only 2-3 months out, some had lost around 20-30 pounds.  My husband simply asked them if they were following their diets and exercising--the reply was mostly that they don't feel any restriction and can eat anything they want, like hamburgers, hot dogs, popcorn.  He asked if they were exercising and most of them said no, they are just more active.  See, my husband is a martial artist as well as I, and he his in good physical condition.  They are just kept making negative comments and were scaring the "crap" out of my about this.  I really needed some support, not negative feedback.  There were a couple of ladies in the group that were extremely helpful and calm me down some as well as the lady who was running the support group.  She stayed very close to the group and intervened when she felt it was appropriate. 

Sorry this reply is so long, but I just had to get this off my chest.  I didn't sleep well last night and am just so down today with all the thoughts running through my mind.
Teresa J

Most Active