Are you really happy with the Realize Band?

carolw1229
on 9/30/08 9:08 am, edited 9/30/08 9:46 am
VSG on 10/18/17
I am going back and forth on what is best for me. My insurance will pay for a Realize lapband or an RNY. My doctor is a big fan of the Vertical Sleeve, but  BCBS will not approve at this point. The RNY seems so drastic. There are so many negative stories about the lapband and complications on OH forums. Please give me some feedback on how you made your decision and why you like or dislike your lapband. Are you ever able to drink a little wine with a lapband?
Darrin D.
on 9/30/08 11:49 am - GA
I love the leash on the beast.  Originally, I was heading for the LapBand, but my doc suggested the Realize band at the consult.  I had looked at the various surgeries and the RNY, VSG and the other more radical ones just didnt feel like the option to me.  The side effects, dumping, hurting and all that SEEM to be worse with the other surgeries and I am a huge chicken.  My little buddy teaches me when I mess up (its rough, but I havent had to spend a whole day getting past it....yet), I go for my first fill in 10 days and things may change. 

For me, the bands just seemed more to fit my lifestyle and abilities to learn/change.   That said, the RNY/VSG folks do tend to drop a LOT more weight faster, which makes me jealous, but just to see the numbers on the scale go DOWN is a bit of a thrill for me, they never really did that before.

2nd Fill 2.5cc's for a total of 6cc in a 10cc Realize Band
Titanium Blonde
on 9/30/08 12:32 pm
I am completely happy with my band.  It has been very successful for me.  I had it done over 3 years ago now.  I lost more weight than I thought I would.  There are a lot of successful bandsters who don't post anymore.  There are negatives with any surgery, but with the band they are not major complications.  If you are a volume eater the band will work great for you.  If you are a grazer no weight loss surgery will work for you.  I can drink whatever I want, liquor included, no problem.  If you post this question on the lapband board you will get a  lot of positive replies.

brnsugar91
on 9/30/08 1:48 pm
I decided on a lapband because I did not want my stomach separated and my intestine rerouted. That procedure was a bit too drastic for me and the recovery period was a lot longer. My doctor made the decision to give me the Realize Band and when I asked him way he said it worked better with my anatomy. I have had great success with the band so far and have never been sick. I can eat and drink anything I want including liquor.

I was banded May 27 of this year and have loss 45 pounds so far. I weigh in at 190 right now and my blood work has been very good. I had one fill so far which was six weeks after the surgery. I am due to get another fill on Monday, October 6. I think you have to decide what is best for you and what you can live with. The dumping syndrome that RNY patients talk about was not for me.

The weight loss with the band is slow but it is steady and your body has a chance to adjust. I wish you luck in your decision and let us know exactly which procedure you decide on.

(deactivated member)
on 10/1/08 6:38 am - Landing, NJ
VSG on 02/27/12
 Quite content so far!
brnsugar91
on 10/1/08 12:54 pm
I am very happy with the Realize band.

Woodsy
on 10/2/08 3:06 am - MI
I have a realize band and so far I am not all that thrilled.  I am working my butt off to try and lose weight, but it isn't really fast.  Only 4 pounds in the last 2 months.  Just had a fill yesterday, but I don't feel much different.  I have 7.5cc in my band and it only holds 9. I eat between 12-1800 cals a day and workout minimally 4 days a week.   I work out hard and lift weights.   Just so bummed out with my progress, thought I would be down more by now.  My surgery was in Jan of this year.  My only hope is that I am gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time because my body looks diff and my clothes are looser.
Woodsy
Realize Band
Dr. Jon Schram, 1/3/2008
start 273 current 225

"Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape"
jla734
on 10/2/08 5:02 am - DE
  You are probably gaining muscle. Muscle weighs more then fat. Remember this when you step on the scale. My clothes are also looser so that is how I am telling if I have lost. Had surgery on Aug 26 and was a size 18 today I am wearing some 14 but mostly 16 ladies. Weight went from 214 day of surgery to 198 today so I am not really losing that fast either. The thing is I work out everyday for 2 hours racewalking so I KNOW I am building muscle.My doc has not approved me to go back to the weight lifting yet so I have started walking on the beach as it helps keep my legs toned.

Woodsy
on 10/4/08 6:09 am - MI
On October 2, 2008 at 12:02 PM Pacific Time, jla734 wrote:
  You are probably gaining muscle. Muscle weighs more then fat. Remember this when you step on the scale. My clothes are also looser so that is how I am telling if I have lost. Had surgery on Aug 26 and was a size 18 today I am wearing some 14 but mostly 16 ladies. Weight went from 214 day of surgery to 198 today so I am not really losing that fast either. The thing is I work out everyday for 2 hours racewalking so I KNOW I am building muscle.My doc has not approved me to go back to the weight lifting yet so I have started walking on the beach as it helps keep my legs toned.
How the heck do you find time to walk for 2 hours a day?  I work full time and have three little boys.  I feel like passing out by 9pm.  I also think that is part of the problem of not losing weight as quickly as I should be.  My nutritionist told me my stress level would slow my progress down.  Oh well, at least I am not gaining weight!  Keep on working out and stay healthy.
Woodsy
Realize Band
Dr. Jon Schram, 1/3/2008
start 273 current 225

"Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape"
jla734
on 10/5/08 1:33 am - DE
    There is a park near my home I take the kids to play there and we walk the long path when we first get there. Then I take the kids to play while I walk in the long circle where I can see them the entire time they are playing and I am walking. That's the great thing about many of the modern parks you can watch your kiddos and walk or jog at the same time.Mind you my children arent 5 or 6 they are older so they won't wonder off and KNOW to stay put.
   I am really sorry you are dealing with the stress. It really does make it harder to lose weight. Remember a relaxing bubble bath and some candles and a nice cd can work wonders. Also in home walking is fun. I LOVE Leslie Sansone.There is also "The Firm" which combines aerobics and light weight training. You get fast results with the firm but please be careful their step box is 14 inches high.

Most Active