Banded 9/29

sharmall
on 10/2/08 4:52 am - Southern, MD
Hi everyone,

I was banded 9/29.  I'm happy it's over.  I stayed in the hospital 2 days.  I'm feeling a little achy and bloated.   Hopefully, these symptoms will subside in the next few days.  I wish all of the newly banded a speedy recovery.  For those with surgery dates coming up, if I can be of assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Mendee M.
on 10/2/08 1:46 pm - Mulvane, KS
Congrats on your "Realization"!! I am having surgery on 10-27. Just out of curiosity, how come you were in the hospital 2 days? My surgeon says I will be outpatient.
~~Mendee~~

10 pounds below goal!                  
sharmall
on 10/3/08 11:30 pm - Southern, MD
My doctor likes to keep you overnight for observation.  The extra night was because my pain wasn't controlled.  He had inserted a pain catheter, that had eased it's way out so I wasnt' getting any relief.  I felt much better after the 2nd day.   Good luck on your surgery.  Keep me posted on how you're doing :)
JackieBeth
on 10/3/08 6:33 am - Easton, MD
I had my realize band put in on the 29th also.  I'm glad it's over.  I'm still feeling bloated.  I've been walking, siping, and taking gas-x strips.

Jackie

sharmall
on 10/3/08 11:35 pm - Southern, MD
JackieBeth,

I'm so glad you are up and moving :)  I've been taking the gas-x strips too.  It was such a relief to hear that what I was feeling is normal.  Thanks for sharing.  I'm feeling better every day.  Still a little sore near my port, but otherwise good.  I'm walking and sipping, and sipping and walking.  :)  Hope your improving too.  Keep me posted.

Landroller
on 10/3/08 10:23 pm
I was banded Tuesday Sept 30 and I also stayed in the hospital for 2 days instead of overnight. I had a few problems probably due to the anesthesia -- severe nausea (and dry heaves), I had the urge to urinate (and I had to very badly) but my bladder would not work to release the urine, and the morning after surgery i had such severe chest pain that an EKG and cardiac enzyme tests were ordered. Thankfully the EKG was ok and was attributed to the gas inserted in the abdomen during surgery. Everything righted itself and I left the hospital 48 hours after surgery. I still have gas pain and pressure but I am going to purchse those Gas X strips to see if they help. The only other issue is a feeling of having been kicked in the stomach but that is better today.
sharmall
on 10/3/08 11:41 pm - Southern, MD
I'm so glad you are feeling better today.  I'm sure the chest pain experience was a little scary.  The gas pains can be the worst.  Gas X helped me alot.  I feel like I've been kicked in the stomach too :)  It's getting better as the days go by.  Make sure you walk several times a day.  That helps with the gas too.  Keep me posted on  your progress.
JackieBeth
on 10/4/08 12:17 am - Easton, MD
It's so great to hear we're all feeling the same way.  I've spent the last hour in the kitchen making homemade butternut squash soup, and applesauce.  I've also been walking.  When dh gets home, I'll take a longer walk. I do better if I'm up and moving.  Does anybody know if it's ok to use a stationery bike?  I have one in front of my tv and thought I might try it.  Tummy is still a little sore and bloated but seems better today.  I don't have any trouble getting my liquid down.  Do any of you?  I take a swallow, wait a few seconds and then take another sip.  I hope I'm not going to fast.  The other thing is, I'm only getting about 2-3 hours a sleep at a time.  Do any of you take anything to help you sleep through the night?

Jackie

sharmall
on 10/4/08 12:30 am - Southern, MD
I have sleep most of the night, but usually wake about 4 am feeling alittle uncomfortable.  I reposition the pillows and usually doze back off shortly after.  I take my pain med before going to bed because that's when I usually feel the worst.  My doc didn't give me any restrictions on exercise, so I do what I'm comfortable with.  I've only been walking, and doing balancing games on the Wii Fit.

Mendee M.
on 10/4/08 4:22 am - Mulvane, KS
Thanks for all your insights! I think this will help me prepare "just in case" I end up staying over night. I will now know this is fairly normal, and I wont worry. I will also tell my Mom so she doesn't freak out!
~~Mendee~~

10 pounds below goal!                  
Most Active