ANyone wish they had bypass rather than banding?

betziew
on 10/6/08 10:43 am - WV
I  am on trrack for surgery, but can't decide between banding or bypass.  Does anyone have advice that would help me make an informed decision?
Darrin D.
on 10/6/08 12:25 pm - GA
Yes and no.  The band was the right surgery for me.  Everything I read, every medical person I talked to seemed to be urging me towards the band.  The procedure that I had was relatively painless and I have had no complications. 

However,  I do wonder from time to time if having a more radical procedure would have resulted in a larger amount of weight loss in a shorter amount of time. 

2nd Fill 2.5cc's for a total of 6cc in a 10cc Realize Band
bornagain3
on 10/6/08 12:34 pm - Scottsville, VA
Not me.  I have lost 12 pounds this first week and am already at 230 a place I haven't been in YEARS.  Whatever I loose, no matter how long it takes is an improvement.  I didn't want the more radical procedure and my surgeon didn't encourage it at all.

Jeane   
Bratty_Nicole
on 10/6/08 2:38 pm - Aurora, CO
I was considering RNY a few years ago, but it didn't work out (not the right time).  I started to research the band and thought because they don't cut and re-route your digestive system, it sounded better for me.  My Mom had RNY and lost a lot of her weight in the first 6 months, but I believe slow and steady wins the race.  It's really up to you, there are pros and cons to each surgery, I say talk to numerous doctors about each procedure and see which they prefer and why.  You can also get a lot of info on here and other websites.  You can go to www.lapband.com or www.realizeband.com for info on the both of the bands.  For RNY, you will have to talk to others who have had it already.

Good luck!!

~Nicole  

I joined the Realize Band - 10/2/2008 

My blog:
www.nickleinapickle.blogspot.com
(deactivated member)
on 10/7/08 4:04 am - Wichita, KS
There is also the option of the DS which has the best long term success. I would say if you are having any doubts then do more research. Depending on the person the band, RNY, and DS are very effective. It seems to be a very individual thing. I would also reccommend checking out the revision boards to make sure you are truly making the best decision for you. Good luck.
wildheart63
on 10/7/08 4:23 am - IL
I CHOSE AND NEVER LOOKED BACK....10 YEARS AGO I WANTED THE LAP BAND AND IT WASN;T FDA APPROVED...SO I WENT ON MY MERRY WAY.......I THOUGHT ABOUT IT AGAIN IN JUNE, AND RESEARCHED THE REALIZE BAND...I LUV IT.....DO WHAT IS BEST FOR YOU...RESEARCH....RESEARCH ....RESEARCH.
LORI

BerniceMom
on 10/16/08 5:38 am
I had RNY in 2002 and lost 140 pounds but didn't get to a good weight.  Then I slowly put back on 60 pounds and am having lap band tomorrow.  I had no complications with the RNY.  The lap band was new back in 2002 and research seemed to show the RNY would help you lose more weight.  Now, research shows that both can have the same results over a 3 year period.  Plus, you can adjust the fills over time.  If I could go back and do it again?  I'd choose lap band. 
Most Active