Lap Band vs. Realize Band

Nicole Wilson
on 11/12/08 12:50 am - Indianapolis, IN
I am having surgery on Dec. 10th and I was told that my doctor would offer me the lap band or the realize band.  Can anyone tell me the main difference?  What makes one better then the other one?  Which one has the best results?  Is there a difference in weight loss?  HELP....
wildheart63
on 11/12/08 1:12 am - IL

the only difference is the port size...i have the realize band and luv it. the port is flatter and the spot where the needle goes is wide....i also like the website realizemysuccess.com you can track everything and your doc can look at the site also and help you if you need it. i have had two fills under flouro and have not had any problems. the choice is yours !
good luck to you.
lori

renee K.
on 11/12/08 10:12 am - Augusta, GA
Ditto what Lori said.  (except i havent had any fills yet), Ask your doc to let you look at both of them side by side.  The REalize felt softer to me........... 

carolw1229
on 11/13/08 3:25 am
VSG on 10/18/17
I am also having my surgery on Dec 10th and getting the Realize band. My surgeon is top notch and only uses the Realize band for all his band surgeries. I did like their website and the idea of a redesigned port. I don't believe there is a difference in weight loss.
knickerbocker
on 11/13/08 4:14 am - MI
The realize band is also slighly wider and softer which means it is less likely to slip.
Karlie J.
on 11/13/08 6:35 am
RNY on 02/16/15 with
I'm having surgery next Wednesday and my surgeon uses both Lap Band and Realize - he said it was up to me. I decided on Realize because he said he's never had a Realize Band slip and b/c of the difference in the port (it's flatter and easier for the surgeon to put in). My surgeon is top notch and only does banding and he said he's totally comfortable with either - I just thought since Realize is newer it would be good. In terms of weight loss I've researched both quite a bit and there's no statistical difference between the 2 bands in terms of weight loss.

Good luck!
cassi75474
on 11/15/08 11:28 pm - West Tawakoni, TX
I love my Realize band.  I do know that my mother was banded with Lap in March with the same surgeon.  I have had no issues at all, and love it so much.  My mother hasn't either, so we haven't seen any difference.  She wishes that she had the realizemysuccess option though.  I think that it makes life much easier.

Losing weight and loving it!  Feeling better every day!

Most Active