Taking fluid out

Considering_It
on 4/12/11 9:25 am
Anyone have experience with this?  Last fill was quite a few months ago, and I  have had a difficult time keeping solids down...despite this, my weight has stayed the same.  I finally followed up w/ my surgeon's office, and the other doctor in the practice thinks I'm too tight and wants to take some fluid out.  I'm going to do it in 2 wks (the soonest we can get our schedules to mesh).

Has anyone else dealt with this?  On one hand, it makes sense to loosen the band, on the other hand, I'm nervous....
Tom C.
on 4/12/11 9:50 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
This happen to me (it happens to a lot of band patients). Once some was taken out (1/2 cc for me) I was able to eat and started losing again.

The one reason you're probably not losing is because the body isn't getting enough nutrition in, and is beginning to go into "starvation mode" and hold onto all it can. Once you can eat normally, the bodu will realize it will get fed when it's suppose to and then you'll lose again.

Good luck and keep us informed how it goes.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Kim H.
on 4/12/11 4:30 pm - Duluth, MN
I am so glad that Thursday I am going in for a fill. I am hungry and I am drinking plenty of fluids, and I have no "symptoms" or indications that I have eaten enough(my 1/2 portion).I really hope this will help cuz I feel like I am already GAINING and I just started!

~Kim~

Amy B.
on 4/12/11 11:22 am
 I just had my first fill 2 weeks ago, so I haven't experienced this. Tom is absolutely right, however, about your body reacts to not having enough nutrition. It will take that nutrients it is getting and hold on to it until the next meal. Therefore, it is constantly storing everything you eat. Let us know how it turns out!
Considering_It
on 4/12/11 11:30 am
Thanks to both of you.  I didnt know you had gone through this Tom and it makes me feel better to know because you have done so well.
Also, had my metabolism measured with the machine that you stand on and hold handles and it measures how much fat, muscle, and water you are made of, and how many calories you burn.  Well, turns out that my metabolism SUCKS (no suprise really), and I am screwed out of 1 thousand  calories per day for someone of my height/weight....
Oh well, one day at a time here...
Hislady
on 4/13/11 10:11 am - Vancouver, WA
Tom is correct, this is pretty common with bandsters it takes some time to figure out where that elusive good restriction area is. Sometimes just the very smallest removal of fluid is all it takes and it's always better to be a little loose than too tight. Being too tight can cause all kinds of problems. People think if they are tight they will lose more but in fact that tends to make us eat "bad" foods because they go down easier. We need to be able to easily eat dense protein to make the band work most efficiently so never be afraid to get a little unfill. The worst that can happen is you end up having to put it back in.
Most Active