DS or RNY for me

stormy918
on 1/9/13 11:15 am
Diana Cox offered the following on FB. I'm reposting here with her permission.   Diana Cox Parting words for her, before she deactivates: "We DS vets hope nothing goes wrong with your surgery, but if it does, or if you find yourself in trouble nutritionally or with any one of the number of complex but solvable issues that we DSers something deal with post-op, for which your surgeon is unlikely to have solutions, we hope you will swallow your pride and come back here (or the other, better place) to ask for our help."

Darlene    DS ..9-19-06
OFFICIAL ANGEL
Kryst.......6-27-07
KellyKirk........8-6-07  now our DS FOREVER ANGEL....I will always remember
BettyBoop.....2-26-08
Jewel506...5-26-10
Ragamuffin...9-29-10
185# gone forever

(deactivated member)
on 1/10/13 12:11 am

Hi there - you've received some great advice, I hope you will heed it.

A true RNY to DS revision is a highly complicated and risky surgery.  You need to be in experienced hands.  It's your life that you are dealing with - please do not make this decision lightly.

No one is bashing your surgeon - those of us in the DS community know of him as a VIRGIN DS surgeon.  A revision is a very different story.

We've seen this surgery go wrong many times - please understand that our concerns are out of experience.

Best of luck.  

smileyjamie72
on 1/10/13 2:56 am - Palmer, AK
On January 7, 2013 at 10:44 PM Pacific Time, jzwife wrote:

I am looking for suggestions from you- the experts who are on this board. I had RNY back in 2006. I lost 50 lbs but months after the surgery I ended up with a fistula. I went to find out what the problem was and the surgeon told me it was my fault because I had out eaten my surgery and that caused the fistula. I was devastated because I was barely able to eat anything. After several years I started researching again and saw several different surgeons *****assured that it was not my fault. I eventually got the courage to seek a revision. I was approved for a revision but in the course of jumping thru the hoops it was discovered I had breast cancer. I had surgery in December and have once again been cleared for a revision and am currently waiting to talk with the surgeon who will be doing the revision. He does revisions for both the DS and the RNY. I know the risks and am trying to learn all I can- especially about malabsorption (sp). I would love input from both sides as to how your surgeries and recoveries have gone. How is the day to day living with your revision. Please share your thoughts and experience with me. I would like to go in with knowing all I can about both surgeries and what to expect. PS my surgeon is very experienced in the DS and in revisions so there aren't any issues there.

Thanks so much

Sharon

Sharon,

The surgeon who blamed you, saying it was "all your fault"  UGH!!!!!  Shame on him!!!!

I revised from my 2002 RNY to a DS in December 2011.  So, living with the DS for a year, the life is not all that different, when it comes to the supplements.  I have had my lab draws every 3 months for the first year, t check my levels.  VitaLady is CRUCIAL for my supplements.  Also, the DS board is invaluable for the information of getting low vitamin levels back up into the normal range.  Gina over on the DS board has the spread sheet, lab orders, and list of vites to take.  That way you can keep on track.

As for eating, compared to my RNY, LOVE IT!!!!!!  Full fat, drinking with my meals, going out of my way to find fatty foods, because of the way the DS anatomy mal-absorbs fat, we only absorb 20% of what we eat, and our body needs fat to function, it is essential. 

I FOUGHT for this revision, and I am so glad I got it.  Yes, I have had my fair share of complications (check my profile) but I do not regret my decision.

Good Luck to you!!!

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

jzwife
on 1/10/13 8:40 am

Hi Jamie,

Thanks so much for your reply. You said what I need to here. I read your story on your site several days ago and was so impressed with the courage you have had to endure all that you have.

Several years ago I had a strangulated hernia while on vacation and had to have emergency surgery while  in Idaho. (not much fun)  Yesterday I went to see the surgeon and found out I have 3 small hernias surrounding the mesh that was put into place. So even tho my hernias are nothing like yours I can empathize with you. I am so glad you were able to get yours taken care of. I just just have a small bulge.

While talking to the surgeon about the hernias we decided to go in and plug the fistula -glue the small opening closed- so that I can have my original RNY back to get some restriction,lose some weight and get in better shape so that I can either do the RNY revision or revise to the DS . We discussed both revisions. Altho this surgeon has done the DS in the past he would not be doing the DS if that was the road I decided to take.  He told me that the head bariatric surgeons would meet that nite and discuss my case. He said they would work together and with me.

I have met Michelle (VitaLady) and been to her home on several occasions. She's wonderful when it comes to helping with the supplements and protein. She also has very sage advise when it comes to surgeries and the surgeons who are best to work with. I have visited with her on several occasions and she has always been very generous with her time and knowledge.

Thanks again for taking time to reply and for being supportive. I am trying to educate myself so that I can make a wise decision when it comes to both surgeries and what will work best for me.

Sharon

pineview01
on 1/10/13 3:52 am - Davison, MI

I know you DS vets are going to bash me.  But, your list isn't written in stone.  Not long ago a person came here looking for a RNY to DS surgery in Michigan.  You all gave her the short list and the same post as posted here. She was told she HAD to go out of state to get this done safely I did some research (I'm always researching as I have a sister with the DS, a DD and sister with a sleeve and I had a failed band) and found Dr. Kemmeter, located in Michigan. I sent her the info by PM because I didn't want to be flogged here offering up the info.  Now I see him on your short list.  So before you write a surgeon off...

Also how many does a surgeon have to do to be on the list.  Where would all those with RNY to DS be if nobody was the first to let a surgeon do the surgery?

JMHO

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

jzwife
on 1/10/13 8:18 am

Thank you JMHO- I appreciate your comments and support. I did feel like I was getting flogged here. I deliberately didn't go on  the DS site for that reason. I came to the Revision site for a balanced and well thought out response to my question.

The military is its own entity. They have 9 qualified bariatric surgeons and at least 5 of them do the DS but you won't find their names appearing on any list for the outside world to see because the only ones who can use them are the military dependents and retired military. They don't have to be "vetted" by the world. They can do over 100 bariatric surgeries a month and many times they work together as a team for the best results. You never have just one surgeon in the operating room. You can have a resident working with a surgeon or several seasoned surgeons in there working together for the benefit of the patient. In the outside world you get one surgeon and its his opinion only. I would much rather have the consensus of several seasoned veterans than one opinion when it comes to my revision.

pineview01
on 1/10/13 11:28 am - Davison, MI

I understand where you were coming form.  The SIL is Military and the DD is having issues adjusting to their medical world.  And the stories the DH tells from back when he was in.

So if it was me I would get the DS as it is important to keep the pyloric valve.  I had the mechanical lap band and it is really bad.  For great info go to the VSG and do a search for it.  Frisco has a very great info post, http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/VSG/4559851/Pyloric-Valve-101-repost-of-repost-of-repost/

Good Luck and Thank Your DH for us!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

jzwife
on 1/10/13 1:19 pm

Thank you and I will check out that site! 

MsBatt
on 1/10/13 12:50 pm

The military is its own entity. They have 9 qualified bariatric surgeons and at least 5 of them do the DS but you won't find their names appearing on any list for the outside world to see because the only ones who can use them are the military dependents and retired military. They don't have to be "vetted" by the world.

I think you may have missed the point behind the vetted-surgeon list. It's been complied by patients, and those patients could certainly be military people. Surgeons get on that list when a significant number of patients report good results. It's not 'the world' doing the vetting, it's those who have been there, done that.

I don't think anyone was trying to flog you. I think they were just trying to get you to take their words to heart. We've had people go in for revisions and come out with something different than what they thought they were getting, and we've had people have some serious medical issues because an inexperienced surgeon attempted something he wasn't truly up to. We've even had people die.

So take posts in the spirit in which they were intended---with concern for your well-being.

Most Active
Recent Topics