What to take to the hospital?

Kari J.
on 11/7/08 6:05 am - Ankeny, IA
I know this has been posted before, but I can't find it!!!

My surgery is scheduled for next Wednesday (Nov. 12th..YAY!) and I need to pack this weekend for the big day.  Can you guys give me a list of some good items to take with me while I'm in the hospital?  Thanks!

Kari
ramos1120
on 11/7/08 6:09 am - Camdenton, MO
Congrats on your surgery! I would sugg chap stick, robe, socks, hair brush, hair tie, lotion and a pillow with a different colored pillow case for the ride home.  Best of luck, Raynetta
Michelle W.
on 11/7/08 6:15 am
I believe previous poster got everything I would have said besides maybe a good book....I took my own pillow to use in the hospital as well.

RNY  10/21/08...140 pounds lost
LBL and Brachioplasty 3/16/2010
Medial thigh lift, BL/BA, revision to my abdomen and left arm 1/18/11

(deactivated member)
on 11/7/08 6:15 am
Kari..

I took everything, but the one thing I couldn't of done without?   CHAPSTICK!!

You will wake up and your lips will be so dry but they won't let you drink....it's like a craving I have never had...wanting to wet my lips!!

Congrats to ya!!
Dawn
PMarie
on 11/7/08 7:04 am - Bloomington, MN
Slippers with non skid soles for the hall way walking (or slip on shoes you don't need socks with)
Deodorant (could not BELIEVE how stinky I got!)

MultiMom
on 11/7/08 7:10 am - NH
Biotene mouthwa**** is a long time before you can drink anything. Your mouth feels like a dust bowl . I used the Biotene with the mouth wiping sponges that they gave me (worked much better than water). Biotene is a moisturizing mouth wash.

Good Luck!!

Martha

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

rubetta
on 11/7/08 7:42 am - Salem, OR
I just got out of the hospital yesterday.  My honey over packed big time.  Only thing I used was chap stick, Biotene, slippers, pillow, and Deodorant. 

Wear the same clothes there that you want to wear home.  The hospital gown was plenty big and I was 296 when I checked in and I am 5'2".  No time to read or watch TV.  I really don't remember half my visitors.  I had a serious amount of pain.  It turns out that the pain meds were what was giving me excruciating headaches and was told to hit my pain button for it.  After that got straightened out all was well. 

Good luck and walk as much as possible.
vortexbanding
on 11/7/08 3:00 pm - New Orleans, LA
 I just got home today and I still have headaches from the morphine pump.  Boy, it's GOOD TO BE HOME!
Christine S.
on 11/7/08 10:15 pm - PA
Hi, everyone had great suggestions. I would also take a mp3 player or cd player. I love to listen to music, it really help me to relax. Best wishes on your surgery and let me be the first to welcome you to the loser bench!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"The Future Belongs to Those Who Believe in the Beauty of Their Dreams"

2teachers
on 11/9/08 5:37 am - Oakboro, NC
Most of the first two days you are in lala land :) but CHAPSTICK was a huge thing, everyone is correct about that. I would also recommend that you wear the most comfy clothes that you can find. I also wore slip on shoes home, you are so swollen from the IV, especially if you don't pee as quickly as they think you should  I also took my laptop, but I didn't use it until the day I went home. Good Luck!!!! I had a great experience and very little pain.
Kimberly *Mommy to Cali May, born 7-16-08*
340/315/176/150
hi/sur/cur/goal

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 485 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 410 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 399 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 342 views