Feedback sought...

AnneGG
on 6/10/10 7:55 am
I'm having the RNY done July 15th!

Initially I was going to have a lap-band, but when I went into surgery for it two weeks ago they found a huge hiatal hernia that ruled out a lap-band because it has misshapen my stomach so much.

Insurance then turned down the request for approval for a sleeve, which left one option- the RNY. At first my reaction was one of big disappointment, and then, of course, I started researching. Then today I saw the doctor for an hour, and I feel like I have just emerged from a cram session on the pros and cons of the different types of weight loss surgery. By the end of it I was reassured about the RNY. I need to do something, and this is it, the option available to me. I was also reassured when he said his outcomes are in the top four of the nation! Not bad! He publishes them on the center's website.

I've already been almost a year at this process, and I guess I just want to get on with it. I'm compliant, I'll have no problems doing the supplements and other requirements. I figure that my weight is more of a risk and liability than the surgery at this point.

Am I doing the right thing? Feedback and advice will be much appreciated!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

poet_kelly
on 6/10/10 7:58 am - OH
I don't think anyone can really tell you if you're doing the right thing.  I will say that for me, I thought the risks of staying obese were greater than the risks of having surgery.  The sleeve was not an option for me either because of my insurance, and there was no way I would have a band.

I am pleased with my decision.  Most people seem to say they would do it again, but of course some are not happy for whatever reason.  I did have a few problems but all is well now, except for some minor nutritional deficiencies which seem pretty easy to treat.

Kelly
LolliPop MO
on 6/10/10 10:50 am
I  was also going to have the lap-band done, but at the last second I changed to RNY.  I wanted to do this surgery  1 time and call it good.  I  read a lot of profiles from people to converted from band to RNY.  I  didn't want that to happen to me.  I  had the surgery March 3rd, and haven't looked back.  I was very lucky and didn't have any complications.  I  don't know I dump, I  really try to follow the rules and not exceed too much sugar and carbs at meal time so I  don't dump.  I am lactose intolerant now, but that's easily fixed with Lact-Aid.

I don't regret switching at all.

lynnc99
on 6/10/10 10:34 pm
Anne, my surgery date was July 15, 2009.

And what a wonderful day that was. I was truly reborn as a result of my RNY.

First of all, my choice for the RNY was guided by my surgeon's recommendation as well as my insurance coverage. I had great trust in my surgeon, and it sounds like you do as well. She told me that surgery is the ONLY long term solution to morbid obesity, and reviewed several procedures that she does to minimize any risk of complications.

Because of my respect for my doctor and my commitment to the process, I have followed my nutritional plan to a "T". I have not experimented with sugar or gone back to eating refined carbs. My body doesn't need these things. They offer nothing that supports my goals.

In the past year, I have lost 95 lbs. and have gone from size 22-24 and 2X to a size 8 and Small. It is unbelievable. I would still like to lose 20-30 pounds, but know that this will be a gradual process.

My cholesterol has dropped in half, from 280 to 140.

My blood pressure is now about 108/70. No more medication!

I can work out for up to 2 hours at a time without pain or "huffing and puffing." I work out regularly and have a personal trainer (imagine that!) who is helping me gain tremendous strength and endurance. (And I am NOT a naturally coordinated or strong person, believe me!)

People tell me I am almost "unrecognizable." My hairdresser says that my hair style no longer has to "balance out my cheeks." My trainer says I am "no longer imprisoned by my body."

I enjoy thrift store shopping and scouting out bargains - finding top brand names in my new sizes for affordable prices is a lot of fun! I've learned to cook in a new way, and my husband has also lost 12 lbs. He has been a wonderful support to me throughout.

Keys to success? Just a few.
Follow the nutritional plan.
Exercise. It's like a prescription drug. You have to do it!
Support groups. Does your doctor or hospital have bariatric support??

I would love to keep in touch since we share July 15. It will be a VERY good day for you too, I predict!
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 468 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 443 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views