Borderline case...?

CavyGuy
on 7/1/10 3:08 pm - Milwaukee, WI
Was anyone else told by their surgeon that they were a borderline candidate for RNY?  My BMI is 37 but because of my 3 co-morbs I am moving ahead with it.  But when he told me I was borderline my first thought was, "My God, should I try one more diet one more time?  Should I try Medifast or Optifast or Nauseafast?"  Then reality sank in.  It doesn't matter what I try on my own, the truly morbidly obese (I'm 105 over ideal weight) cannot lose weight by diet and exercise AND keep it off.  It just ain't gonna happen.  So...I"m getting ready for surgery on 7.14 and really looking forward to taking off this horrible body armor that has protected me so well but served me so poorly.  I admire all of you for going ahead with it and saving your own lives for whatever reasons you must have had.  Was anyone else "borderline?" Thanks for reading.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"You don't have problems, you just have solutions you don't like."

harleydad
on 7/1/10 3:28 pm
I wasnt told that I was borderline but I am but i am exactly the same as you.  I do have a few more problems though.  I have stage 4 prostate cancer.  We are hoping that the surgury and losing the weight will help with all of that also.  My surg date is the 7-15.  I was origanlly planning on the lap band but the doctor said tha the rny would be the best for me beings that the diabetes is the main reason for me wanting to do it.
charlieinla
on 7/1/10 3:54 pm - Santa Monica, CA
 Hi Guys!

Just push those Docs, push those Insurance companies. Im 7 weeks post-op, I love it. For me , it was a breeeze, Im not kidding. I had more trouble with a flu than my RNY. Well I guess I have to wait a few years to find out. Anywayy...GO WITH IT!!!
mimi11
on 7/1/10 5:51 pm - Cullman, AL

my bmi was 45 but my surgeon tried to talk me out of RNY on my last preop visit  I asked him how fat did he think I should be before I changed my life?  He agreed but said that because I was considered a light-weight that I shouldn't expect to lose as fast as some other patients  My surgery was on 5/19/10 and I have lost 44 lbs to date...so it may not be fast, but I am happy with it.  Best wishes to you and good luck. 

AnneGG
on 7/1/10 10:02 pm
I'm also borderline- I started with a BMI of 37 and am now down to 35, along with two comorbidities. My RNY is scheduled for July 15. I was originally scheduled for a lap band but my hiatal hernia is too big.

I have the same issues as someone with a higher BMI such as yo-yo dieting, and as I've gotten older, it is much harder getting the weight to come off. I'm also afraid of continuing to gain. And I will have the issue of keeping the weight off. But losing happens with the RNY, and I need the support. Mostly I'm voting for my long term health.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

LonestarOH
on 7/1/10 11:46 pm
Diets, exercise == CRAP!!!

Check this recent study out:

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/weightloss/diet-type-or-calories-lost-whats-best-weight-loss

Bariatric surgery is not for everyone, but, if you are trying to tell yourself "just try one more diet!", it is NOT going to help.

I too was borderline. BMI just at 40 with NO co-morbids. But, I was so sick and tired of being a fat ******* for my entire life...

Anyway, results are good for me (anectodal of course). Down to an almost "normal" weight now (179 and 5' 10" on my scale), which I have NEVER been in my ENTIRE life from infant hood on up.

Cheers!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 445 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 400 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 335 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?