Is there something similar to OPTIFAST I can buy but thats cheaper?

blueaprildew
on 7/6/10 12:05 pm - Greer, SC
I need help I am suppose to have Gastric bypass surgery in September but my doctor has a mandatory requirement for drinking Optifast for 30 days before I can have my surgery. But I cant  afford it does anyone know of anything similar? It has

Calories: 160
Protein: 14g
Carbs: 20
Fat: 3
Sodium: 230mg
Pat-470mg
Fiber: 0
Vit& Minerals: 10-40% of RDI
Lactose 8-12 g

Thank you so much I only have 3 weeks to find something before I have to start.
karenh1127
on 7/6/10 12:15 pm - Deer Park, TX
My doc said Optifast or Atkins Advantage shakes.  The optifast is $4 each so I am pretty sure the Atkins is cheaper.  Wow 30 days!  I only have to do 5.  Good luck!

Hwoods
on 8/3/16 8:47 am

How many of the atkins shake did they tell you to drink in a day?

Buliejurd
on 7/6/10 12:18 pm - Bath, MI
My doc has the same requirement and it is really hard financially for me too!  They really have me trapped because they won't let me do anything else (saying Optifast is the only medically supported products) and so they force pre ops to buy Optifast products....they know if we don't buy enough to last, thus we are trapped.  If we don't buy enough = no surgery!  Ughhh.  I guess I should be thankful I have insurance that covers the majority of this surgery, but this is a financial strain.  Sorry I'm no help but wanted to comiserate w/ you. 
Julie
Ht: 5'5", HW (pre VSG) 275, RNY starting weight 259, CW 240 GW 146

blueaprildew
on 7/6/10 12:25 pm - Greer, SC
I know exactly where you are comming from so I really do understand this is the same problem that I am having. If I find anything similiar I will let you know maybe you can just tell you doctor you bought your stuff from another store lol
poet_kelly
on 7/6/10 12:28 pm - OH
Look at something like Unjury.  180 calories and 28 grams of protein if y ou mix it with milk.  Much better deal than Optifast.

Or Syntrax Nectar.  Just 90 calories and 23 grams of  protein.  No sugar, either.  Much, much better than Optifast.

Kelly
Hwoods
on 8/3/16 8:48 am

How many of these did you drink in a day to meet your required nurtrients?

cruelirony
on 6/27/17 5:45 am
RNY on 10/04/17

My doctor doesn't allow the Nectar because some contain acesulfame-K or otherwise known as aspartame.

Narissa
on 7/6/10 12:30 pm
Do you have to buy it from them?  That seems unethical to me. 

I had to do it for 2 weeks prior to my surgery.  Now that it's done and over with, I have found that I would have been able to buy it elsewhere for less money.
Narissa
on 7/6/10 12:31 pm
The Nectar is way less gross than Optifast too!
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 409 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 404 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views