It's official... my job ends Thursday...

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/22/11 8:43 am - OH
... and we leave for vacation on Friday.  Technically, my job ends on April 1, but the vacation was already planned, so Thursday is my last day in the office.  I have an interview for another position on Thursday, but won't know anything before we leave, of course, and that position is only guyaranteed for 4 months. I have been at this job for 4 years and work with a GREAT group of people so it will be sad.  Then there's the stress of being a single homeowner with a car payment, grad school loans from two degrees, and a rapdily growing Chow Chow puppy (and his terrier brother) to feed... not to mention the cost of Cobra coverage... 

I want cookies.  Chocolate Chip cookies. Lots of them.  With a pint of Strawberry Haagen Dazs on the side.  (Old habits  DO die hard. it seems)  Ok, maybe just some chicken and green beans and a couple of RF Nilla Wafers with a Vicodin chaser.  (Yes, my injured knee is STILL rather swollen and quite painful by the end of the day.  Got a Cryo Ciff cooler so hopefully keeping it chilled off and on all day will help so that it will be better for vacation.)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Price S.
on 3/22/11 8:54 am - Mills River, NC
I'm so sorry.  This economy is for **** and it i****ting folks everywhere.  Here's swinging that you will have another job waiting for you when you get back. 
Hope you can have a great time on vacation and not worry.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/22/11 10:05 am - OH
Yes, the ecomony is horrible right now, especially where I live. I fear it will get worse before it gets better, but I'm trying to be optimistic.  I might end up having to look in Cincinnati (over an hour away) or Columbus (over an hour and a half away), though... at least things there are not quite as bad as they are here.

Vacation is already paid for except food and whatever entertainment (maybe a baseball game).. and we plan to spend most of the time at the beach or just relaxing with a good book by the semi-private pool... and I have been actually CRAVING some warm sunshine lately... so I will (hopefully) be able to forget about things for a while.

Lora

Ladytazz
on 3/22/11 8:56 am
I am so sorry to hear that. I was laid off, too, and I thought my job was safe There is no such thing as job security these days. You are a smart, talented woman and I am sure you will find something very quickly.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/22/11 10:00 am - OH
Are you still looking for a job or did you find something else?

Lora

Ladytazz
on 3/22/11 10:08 am
It was during the time my health was getting worse so I wasn't terribly upset and I did fine with unemployment but I did do all the required job searches and I never heard back from one employer.  I even filled out applications to McDonald's and Burger King.  I just applied every where and never heard back once.  After my surgery I decided to go off unemployment because I was so sick I knew I couldn't work and I couldn't look for work.  Now that I am doing better I am back to looking.
The funny thing is I used to never  have a problem finding a job.  I would work through temp agencies and get hired from the jobs they sent me out on.  I was never unemployed long enough to get unemployment before.  I had my last job for 9 years.  I never thought it would be so hard to find a job.  I am only looking for part time since I am on disability so that may be part of the reason.  Temp agencies don't have part time jobs so I can't go through them again.  Fortunately I get enough money to pay my bills, just barely but it could be a lot worse.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

poet_kelly
on 3/22/11 9:19 am - OH
Oh, I'm so sorry.  How stressful.

Can you make protein ice cream?  I have always thought ice cream makes everything better.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/22/11 9:43 am - OH
Actually, I do have some frozen NSA strawberries in the freezer and some vanilla bean torte protein powder...

Lora

lynnc99
on 3/22/11 9:29 am
So sorry to hear that Lora. Here's hoping that something else opens up for you quickly! (And I don't mean a bag of cookies!)
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/22/11 9:45 am - OH
LOL.  The only cookies in the house (ever) are the RF Nilla Wafers, and I put my jammies on early so I wouldn't go out to the store or a drive through for anything!

Lora

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 2 replies · 18 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 258 views