HELP! HAIR LOSS 7 months post op to now 11 months post op - HELP!

clareireland
on 3/22/11 6:22 am - FL
Okay!
Can anyone tell me ANY success stories of how to counteract (take any biotin supplements?) or any specific minerals or vitamins?   I realize protein is important and we have essentially somewhat "starved" our hair follicles, but please help!  

I am starting to be more disciplined with vitamins and nutrition, but if anyone can tell me what they have done to help, or resources, it would most appreciated.

I am happy with WLS, but want to solve this hair loss issue!

Thank you !!!!

poet_kelly
on 3/22/11 6:24 am - OH
Have you had labs done lately?  If not, get some done now.  Get a CMP, prealbumin, B1, iron, zinc and biotin.  If anything is low, supplement it.

You can try biotin now.  If you don't really need it, you'll just pee out the extra.

Kelly
clareireland
on 3/30/11 12:59 am - FL
Kelly,
Thank you so much for the post!  I did get my labs. - All normal. I am, however, really paying close attention to my protein, vitamins and am now taking Biotin.  I am seeing a slight improvement over the last week, so this is good!

I will let you all know how it improves over time.  Thanks again!

poet_kelly
on 3/30/11 1:25 am - OH
It may take a while to see improvement because what happens is that hair goes into a "resting phase" then falls out a couple months later.  So hair you're losing now has been in the "resting phase" for a while.  If it's already  in the "resting phase," you can stop it from falling out.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

adamsamah
on 3/22/11 6:26 am - Nixa, MO
Protein and vitamins. Biotin doesn't stop hair loss, just helps healthier regrowth I've heard. But, being disciplined with protein and vitamins is not an option. It is your health/life you are messing with and hair loss could be the least of your worries if you don't get those other things regulated. Also, hydration is important so do what you know you need to do and the hair will start growing back before you know it. Remember better thin hair and a thin body than fat hair and a fat body.
Hugs and tough love,
Lana

Adamsamah, Lana
"WLS is about making better choices, a healthier lifestyle and seeing how little you can eat.  Portion control is the key to all weight loss surgeries.  Bottom line - it isn't how much you can eat - it is how little you can eat."

clareireland
on 3/30/11 1:01 am - FL
Loved your post, by the way!  I always think it is better to be thin and have less hair!  Funny.  But now for some reason I WANT IT ALL!  :) 

I am really paying close attention to my protein, vitamins and am now taking Biotin.  I am seeing a slight improvement over the last week, so this is good!   I am also paying closer attention to my hydration!

I will let you all know how it improves over time.  Thanks again!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/23/11 12:59 am - OH
Time will counteract it without you do anything at all.  Unfortunately, that is the ONLY thing that will counteract it.  Getting in all your proteion and vitamins (including some biotin) can help promote the regrowth, though.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

clareireland
on 3/30/11 1:03 am - FL
Lora
Thank you so much for the post!  I did get my labs. - All normal. .  I am seeing a slight improvement over the last week, so this is good!

I will let you all know how it improves over time.  Thanks again!  I also agree with you about "time" it takes time to lose it, but also time to grow it back healthy!

libragirl76
on 3/23/11 8:36 am
Oh Gosh! I am really worried than! I am 5 mos out and thought soon it would stop. I had very thick hair but I am not lying when I say I believe I have lost half of it. Now dont get me wrong I am happy with surgery and all but feel I will be bald soon...lol. My labs have been good and I just started taken biotin a couple of weeks ago and notice no difference. Maybe I need to up my protein and fluids too. Good luck!

LOVING LIFE AND LEARNING TO LOVE MYSELF

Starting Weight 255/// Goal Weight 140////Current Weight 121

clareireland
on 3/30/11 1:06 am - FL
Thank you so much for the post!  I did get my labs. - All normal. I am, however, really paying close attention to my protein, vitamins and am now taking Biotin.  I am seeing a slight improvement over the last week, so this is good!

I will let you all know how it improves over time.  Thanks again!  Also I went to a Hair/Scalp Therapist (no, not a dermatologist) but I have some new shampoo and product to put on scalp that will help with some re-growth (should help re-growth hair be thicker and not the thin curly strands)  DHT is common with Weight Loss Patients, so keep hydrated and treat your scalp (in addition to eating healthy and hydrating).  Hang in there, keep up the good work too!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 469 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 428 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 360 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 444 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 360 views