Article: Good' Bacteria Aid Weight Loss Surgery

Kelly S.
on 3/24/11 1:43 am
Interesting, my PCP just prescribed them for me last week after having to take an antibiotic so I was just checking them out on the web when I came across this.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/weight-loss-surgery/news/20080521/good-bacteria-aids-weight-loss-surgery

'Good' Bacteria Aid Weight Loss Surgery

Study Shows Probiotics Improve Weight Loss and Lessen Nausea After Weight Loss Surgery By Charlene Laino
WebMD Health News Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD  

probiotics_incontenence_and_bariatric_surgery.jpg

May 21, 2008 -- A bacteria pill a day may enhance weight loss among obese people undergoing gastric bypass surgery.

Researchers studied 42 morbidly obese people who had weight loss surgery. Six months after surgery, those who took a daily probiotic supplement had shed 70% of their excess pounds vs. 66% for those who did not.

Study participants who took probiotics after surgery also had less nausea and bloating and generally felt better than those who did not, says researcher John M. Morton, MD, of the Stanford School of Medicine.

"It's a very safe, cheap, and easy-to-administer adjunct to weight loss surgery," he tells WebMD.

The findings were presented at Digestive Disease Week 2008 in San Diego.

Too Much of a Good Thing

The study is the latest to point to the health benefits of probiotics, or so-called good bacteria. Found in certain yogurts and supplements, probiotics are often used to treat diarrhea and other gastrointestinal ailments.

We all have hundreds of species of bacteria in our digestive tract. They help to digest sugars and other carbs. Many are thought to help prevent illness by keeping other, sickness-causing microbes from flourishing.

But sometimes you can have too much of certain bad bacteria, Morton says. That can cause gastrointestinal symptoms, which can affect quality of life.

After noticing that some patients who had undergone gastric bypass surgery had elevated levels of bad bacteria, he decided to see if probiotics could restore the balance of good to bad bacteria in the GI tract.

Patients in the study were given a supplement that contained 2.4 billion colonies of Lactobacillus daily.

Probiotics Lower Levels of Harmful Bacteria

At six months, breath tests confirmed the patients taking supplements had lower levels of harmful gastrointestinal bacteria than those who didn't. The test measures hydrogen byproducts that are produced when bacteria digest carbohydrates.

Morton says that the fact that patients taking supplements had less nausea and bloating could have contributed to their extra weight loss.

"If you're able to digest food with more comfort, you may be less likely to seek out junk food after surgery," he says.

Alternately, the changes in weight could have been directly due to the changes in bacteria levels, Morton says.

Gastroenterologists are enthused about the approach. "Even though it's a small study, I would recommend the supplements to patients who experience GI symptoms after surgery," says Mark DeLegge, MD. DeLegge, professor of medicine at the Digestive Disease Center of the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston, who moderated a media briefing to discuss the findings.

But, he cautions, patients shouldn't start taking supplements on their own; always check with your doctor first.

20 pounds lost during two week pre-op diet.

nfarris79
on 3/24/11 2:19 am - Germantown, MD
 Hmmmm..... very interesting! This is good to know for anyone with IBS symptoms too.

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

nancybugg
on 3/24/11 2:21 am - Riverview, FL
Thanks for the article.  I just emailed my nut and asked her for a recommendation for probiotics.
Jane N.
on 3/24/11 2:37 am - Round Rock, TX
Great article.  I've wanted to add a probiotic but wasn't sure which ones were the right ones for which job. 

(deactivated member)
on 3/24/11 2:43 am
So, now here's the question... do the probiotics have to be prescription, or can they be OTC like Align, or something similar?  Kelly, what did your doctor prescribe for you (if you don't mind sharing)?

Thanks, great info!!

tori

Kelly S.
on 3/24/11 3:56 am
He wrote down how many millions of what kind to look for and I took the list to the pharmacist. I can't remember the brand (they are home in the fridge) but I'll check when I get home and share!

20 pounds lost during two week pre-op diet.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 440 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 395 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 432 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 333 views