Nausea meds??

godsend213
on 3/30/11 11:22 am - Fort Carson, CO
I am 2 weeks out of surgery and I feel pretty except for the nausea. I talked to my doc about it a week ago and he said wait another week to see if it settles down. Well it hasn't. I can't eat anything really and my biggest concern is getting the water and protien down. I feel sick after a sip of water. So my question is has anyone used nausea meds after surgery and do they work? I think I am going to call tomorrow to request something, so I can at LEAST get my water down. Thanks!

I want to participate in life, not observe!  

Amerylus
on 3/30/11 11:31 am - CA
you can try  papaya Enzyme Chewable Tablets
ANNI D.
on 3/30/11 11:56 am
My doc gave me a prescription out of the gate. When I went to get all my scripts filled they were the most expensive, and it was in Mexico so my ins couldnt pay. It was about $150 and I had already out of pocketed enough. I had no nausea when I was in the hosp, so I didnt get them. I figured I would send my mother if I ended up needing them. I didnt. I never got pukey, thank goodness. If your getting sick your doc should not let you continue to be that way, or "wait and see". I would be furious. If stuff is making you queasy and sick, of course those same things are going to cause you to continue to feel sick. You'll end up running out of stuff to try that doesnt mentally get you queasy if not physically. When you go I would tell him that you need them. Dont ask his opinion so he can blow you off again. Tell him. He's not the one that's been sick for 2 weeks!!
I only strive to be, the kind of person my dogs think I am!                               

Of the choices we are given, it's no choice at all....
                                             -Patty Griffin

godsend213
on 3/30/11 12:02 pm - Fort Carson, CO
I had NO nausea in the hospital so I think that's why he didn't give me a Rx for them. My surgeon is great he just recommended I wait a few more days to see if it would clear. He said alot of his patients lose the nausea after week 1. But I still got it 2 weeks out. I am going to call tomorrow and see if he can call me some in. Just wondered if they worked or a waste. Thanks for your replies! :) 

Melinda A.
on 3/30/11 12:09 pm - Annandale, VA
I took Zofran and phenergan, but the compazine suppositories (ew, I know) worked best for me.  They're all rx, though.  I went through what you are experiencing for about 3 months, so make sure you get those liquids down -- even if you cant get anything else -- drink.  You do not want to be stuck back in the hospital.

I say call your doc now and demand a script.  How long have you been unable to keep anything down for?  You may need to go to the ER for dehydration if it's been a while.

I promise, it does get better, though....really.  Hope you feel better!!
lorilea
on 3/30/11 12:42 pm - MN
My sister had the same surgery a year earlier and she told me to make sure I asked them for anti nausea medication.  They gave me Zofran, which is used for cancer patients.  It does work, I have had alot of issues with nausea and it really helps me.  For me, it does make me sleepy so I only ever take it when I a home.  They gave me a sublingual so it started working pretty fast.

godsend213
on 3/30/11 12:45 pm - Fort Carson, CO
I think I was given zofran when I was pregnant with my twins and I was SOOOO sick. I can't remember if it worked good or not, it was a while ago. Thanks I will def call in the morning. :) 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/30/11 1:06 pm - OH
I was given a script for compazine along with the one for iron and pain meds before I had my surgery.  I had no nausea immediately post-op, but took several of them further down the road if I ate something new that made me queasy and then when I was having trouble with my gallbladder and they worked quite well for me.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Smileygrl810
on 3/30/11 1:28 pm
I was sent home with Reglan. Was very nauseous in the hospital but not since I've been home. I'd ask your surgeon for something.

Highest Weight: 318 lbs
Surgery Weight: 265 lbs
Current Weight: 183 lbs
Goal Weight: 145 lbs 
seattledeb
on 3/30/11 2:55 pm
Dehydration can cause nausea. Water alone is hard to get down. What about other types of fluids? SF popsicles, SF jello, broth? Dilute green tea tasted good to me as well.
Keep trying to drink and if it doesn't work get drugs.

Most Active
Recent Topics