Dumping..or puking

rpickens72601
on 3/30/11 12:18 am - MI
Ok I have read several post about people dumping or puking everything they put in there mouth. i dont have that is it because im still on full liquid diet, but some people say they drink liquids and puke, is my pouch to big do i have a struture or something, heve i stretch my pouch in one week. I try ti sip sip sip but when i drink normal i just burp all day constanly is that a good sign??? maybe im not eating enough i drink 2 oz of broth every 2 hours and wait 30min have something to drink, i also have protein shot i drink on all day 42g of protein..do i suppose to be eating more than 2oz i am only one week out of surgery...

thanks
lee12197
on 3/30/11 12:40 am
RNY on 02/28/11 with
not everyone pukes or dumps and not only is it fine your not pucking its great! you arent able to eat anythign that may make u dump so you cant know if you do or not...it sounds like your doing fine to me! but your protein shot may not be a good thing i have heard many ppl say on here that protein shots do not have the kind of protein we need it in. What kind of protein does it have? the burping is most likely one of the ways the gas from surgery is leaving your body and is a very good thing!

rpickens72601
on 3/30/11 1:10 am - MI
Hi My NUT recommend me to take whey protein shots..because i couldnt drink protein powder, but was getting in a lil protein threw food i was eating. the Wheyprotein shots i can sip on all day and it gives me enough protein for the day, they are a lil expensive but they are ok..they taste horrible but i no i need the protein....and thanks for the response i thought my surgeon didnt do my surgery i feel normal and fine....
lee12197
on 3/30/11 1:22 am
RNY on 02/28/11 with
I think as long as they are whey and not collagen they should be ok, but maybe ask one of the vets. I dont want to tell you something is ok when its not really helping! One thing i have learned on here is that our nuts and drs dont always tell us the right thing...mine told me no protein shakes after 2 weeks that my body had enough stored to make up for what i wasnt getting...what i found out on here is your body doesnt store protein it turns it into fat and if you dont get enough your body will pull from your muscles...including your heart! So now anytime my drs office tells me summin that sounds funny i make sure and ask on here!

siberiancat
on 3/30/11 2:30 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
Look at the ingredients on your protein "shot", if it is collagen it is not absorbed by us.  Don't use them.  You need whey isolate or a combination of whey isolate and whey concentrate.

Don't give up on protein powders or ready to drinks.  You need the protein - it is life saving medicine.  Gotta have it whether you like it or not.  I had to try about 20 brands before I found some tolerable and I trained my body to like them and use them daily - still do 2 years out.

Try drinking from a sippy cup so you can't smell the protein.  Try drinking it hot in some Swiss Miss 25 calorie hot chocolate or use unflavored in cream of wheat. 

There are so many great whey isolate protein out there.  Go to www.vitalady.com and order samples of many brands and flavors and try them.

www.bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com has great recipes for making protein drinks
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface has recipes for protein ice cream.  I ate protein ice cream every day for the first year post op and I still make it often.

You have to find a way to get the protein in - at least 65 gm a day.  You don't have to like it - just have to do it.  We can do hard things.  We are changing our feelings about food and nutrition and it is quite an adjustment process.  We have many bad habits that got us to morbidly obese and we need this first 18 months after surgery to reverse some of that.

Best wishes.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Most Active
Recent Topics