Six weeks postop

Mom2Five
on 3/30/11 6:46 am - Munford, TN
I have recently been told I start a regular diet, but for some reason since two weeks postop just about anything I eat makes me sick. I have basically lived on protein shakes and posicles. My doctor says this happens with some people and it will change once my body recovers. Has anyone else had this sort of problem? Or any suggestions on what to do, I have had to be hospitalized three times for dehydratrion. Just looking for the light at the end of the tunnel! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Lady Lithia
on 3/30/11 6:52 am
Some people have trouble with chewing foods...

My suggestion is that when you try a new food, make it only one new thing, then sit yourself in front of a clock or recite the alphabet with each chew......and only swallow after Z...... Chicken, eggs...these are two foods that are hard to handle for a lot of folks. I still have issues with both and I'm three YEARS out.

So what you need to do is try one new food, chewing diligently, adn make sure the bite of food is about one quarter to one half a teaspoon, very small bite, chewed very well. When you finish the bite, wait five to ten minutes, see if it goes down....then have another bite.

Move cautiously.
'
If liquids are coming up, then you might have a stricture..... and you might have one even if foods are going down. Ask your surgeon if he thinks you have a stricture.... it's easily diagnosed and fixed, but he has to order the procedure.

Good luck. I know it's hard.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Mom2Five
on 3/30/11 8:04 am - Munford, TN
Thank you for the response....I have triec to be very careful about small bites and chewing well. But I will try what you suggested. They have done testing to make sure everything is working as it should and everything seems fine. Maybe I am just doomed to do things the hard way.
Mom2Five
on 3/30/11 8:08 am - Munford, TN
Thank You for your response it is nice to kniow I am not the only one experiencing this. I have wondered how long I will have to continue Protein shakes...I basically have to stay on liquids for the three days a week I have to work or I am sick and can't come in. I try to try food slowly on my days off. Makes for a hard four days off being sick...Just praying it will all straighten out soon!
siberiancat
on 3/30/11 6:52 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
I was on full liquid for the first month and puree for the 2nd month.  I was allowed solid food at 3 months but the pouch just wasn't ready yet.  I continued liquids and puree and tried some solid food a little at a time and just took it slow.

There is no rush - you will get there.  At 2 years post RNY, I still have trouble with all solid food and have protein hot latte every morning for breakfast and protein drinks for snacks.

Some pouches are just pickier than others.  Don't compare yourself to others.  Your journey will be specific and individual.  Just make sure you are getting your protein in, fluids and you vitamins and supplements. 

You will do fine.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 302 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 348 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 306 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 304 views