what crap

Mary B.
on 3/31/11 5:36 am
my insuracne denied me.  They said I need ot see the therapist for binge eatting to be addressed.? why wouldnt they have said something sooner about that?!!!  everything is canceled and I have to try again.   Im so upset :(   very discouraged
SugarGrl
on 3/31/11 5:40 am
I'm so sorry but try not to get so discouraged you give up.  I can't tell you how many hurdles I had to jump through and I know i'm not alone.  You just have to take a deep sign and see the therapist.  I'll say a prayer that everything will go well for you.

WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER!  LET'S GET HEALTHY!     STARTING WEIGHT 211.8, SURGERY 23 MAR 11; ONEDERLAND 30 MAR 11 199.2                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

nfarris79
on 3/31/11 5:49 am - Germantown, MD
 I'm so sorry to hear you were denied. But think of it this way, if you had had a physical ailment, you would have to get it treated and move forward. The same goes with mental. And, far be it from me to advocate for insurance companies, but they play on risks. They want to take the least amount of risk possible. The eating disorder, aside from being an insurance risk, is a personal risk. Changing those behaviors before surgery is an important part of WLS being successful for you. What would it be like if you were going through this difficult journey AND dealing with your mind trying to sabotage you? As a therapist, I would have major trepidation recommending someone for surgery who meets criteria for an eating disorder.  If your therapist or whoever did your psych eval felt you met criteria for BED, he/she should have brought that to your attention and recommended further treatment before he/she could clear you for surgery.

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

nomoresugar
on 3/31/11 5:50 am
I can hear your frustration.  However, look at it this way, if you don't solve the binge eating issue, the surgery will not likely be a permanent solution for you.  I don't think you want to go through the surgery and still have an eating disorder.

You may find that the therapy is extremely valuable for getting your food intake under control.
Once you start therapy, you could probably request a review or appeal and may not have to start over from scratch.

good luck.
Ruby_Trout
on 3/31/11 6:31 am - Canada

Hoops, hoops and more hoops.  Do the hoops, my friend, it is frustrating, but you will never regret it.  Best wishes and a hug or two as well. 

Ruby Trout 

franRN76
on 3/31/11 6:50 pm - PA
sorry that you were denied.  But in the long run this is what will work best for you.  Binge eating is an eating disorder which is caused by many different things.  Go through the therapy for this and get a handle on it, and when you have your surgery you will be more successful.

Hang in there and dont give up.  Do what u need to do to take care of yourself.

Mary B.
on 4/1/11 12:41 am
You guys are all so very right, and thank you for posting.  I guess Im just so upset because it finally seemed real...I had my dates, i was so ready for my pre-opt diet and they took the wind from my sails and left me with a big ol question mark for it all.   

You are right, I do need to get this taken care of. I didnt actually realize i had an eating disorder, and the psychologist didnt mention it...so i was kind of blindsided I guess. Im still upset about it but it does make sense.

Thank you again everyone.