my husband foiled my date...

dkwilliams1
on 4/2/11 6:36 am - AK
So,  I told my "other half" that my surgery is 4/14, and he said oh, ok. Then half an hour later, while he was on the computer, he yells, "Oh S#@% !!! you can't have surgery then, I won't be here !!!" Now what, I thought... come to find out his job is sending him to Dutch Harbor/ Attu for a week and he won't be here then, so now I have to ask if I can get my surgery date moved to 2wks out (farther)...crap. I hope they can do it...

ThinnerAngel
on 4/2/11 6:43 am - Rochester, NY
With all the prep and pre op he won't be by your side anyways....and after....coming out of surgery is like "lala land" and you will be out of it. He will have little to no involvement with the actual surgery.

I hope this helps. The hospital does not like patients changing op dates to work into their schedules.

poet_kelly
on 4/2/11 7:07 am - OH
Why would the  hospital care if a patient needed to change their date, unless maybe it was at the very last minute?  I don't think they'd mind at all.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

bizzymommi
on 4/2/11 7:02 am - CA
Dont worry, they can. And there is always people who will be happy to take your spot. I dont know how long it has been since they called and scheduled with you but if it was yesterday you should be ok for two weeks otherwise you might have to wait longer. In my experience they do not have a problem rescheduling because like I said, there is always someone to take your spot. Just relax, I know it sucks to have to wait longer but you will be glad to have your husband with you :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3ulili/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w3ulili/s-weight.png[/img]
[/url]

godsend213
on 4/2/11 7:05 am - Fort Carson, CO
I am not sure how you feel about him being there but I couldn't do it without mine. We also live away from ALL our family since he is in the Army. So it was crucial he be there with me. Especially since we have kids. I do agree that you will be in la la land right after your surgery. I came out and passed right out. Hubby stayed by my side until he got by then was bored and went home for a few hours. Hopefully everything workd out for you! :) 

I want to participate in life, not observe!  

nfarris79
on 4/2/11 8:00 am - Germantown, MD
 I'm sorry to hear that! I'll be sending positive vibes your way that they change it for you!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

AKSteveB
on 4/2/11 8:31 am - Anchorage, AK
Couple of things here:

1.  Does your husband work for a company with more than (I think) 25 employees.  If so, he should be eligible for FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act). 

2.  Changing the date to later shouldn't be a big deal.  It's a fairly common occurence ..people get cold feet or sick etc.  I don't think Dr. Searles volume is so heavy that you would have to be pushed back very far.

3.  You definitely want your husband ..or at the very least family/close friends with you for surgery and at least a few days after.  Most often recovery is fairly easy, but complications can and do happen.  You won't really want to do much for yourself that first week.

JENNI-8yrsPostOP
on 4/2/11 9:47 am

Get someone else to help you if you think you'll need it. Someone from support group, family member or ??? Most of us don't need anyone with us after the first day or two home. We're really fine after leaving the hospital. First day you might want someone there while you shower for the first time so you're not alone but you should be fine even if he's not there. It's pretty hard to reschudule around here and it's more hassle to do that. Keep the original date you have, or ask hubby if he can get the time off to be with you and help out after.
Jen 9 yrs post op

Most Active
Recent Topics