Question on protein drinks...I am pre-op

Prettybrowneyezz
on 4/5/11 1:14 am - PA
Good Morning!

I am pre-op and having RNY (lap) on May 2nd.  I start my liquids on April 18th and I am looking for some recommendations on protein drinks.  I heard about unjury, nectar, etc..  I am looking for feedback on which tastes the best with little or no after taste. 

Also, can I add Sugar-free jello/pudding powder to the unflavored or flavored for a better taste?  Should I be using 1% or Superskim milk?  I currently drink 2% milk.

Any reply is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Paula (on the loser bench soon!)

laura_vermont
on 4/5/11 1:23 am
Immediately post-op, I hated most of them.  Unjury chicken soup flavor was a nice break from all the sweet drinks. 

Because we all have different favorites, I recommend going to vitalady's website and ordering a pile of samples.  And I do mean a pile - so you can try them with different base liquids.  Personally, if I use milk, I use 2% (pre-op I only used skim, but I didn't like it post-op).  Last night, I made a shake with hot chocolate as a base - that wasn't bad.  You'll also want to try water - in various amounts.

I wouldn't even bother trying to figure out which ones you like best now, because it will probably change.
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

(deactivated member)
on 4/5/11 1:25 am - SC
The best thing I can recommend is SAMPLES, SAMPLES and SAMPLES.  Don't drop $30 on a container of something you aren't sure if you like.  I made that mistake and I have a huge can of vanilla flavored protein that I gag thinking about drinking.  You can get samples from www.vitalady.com www.bariatriceating.com www.bjsbariatrics.com

The whey aftertaste of most drinks really bothers me.  So, I use Syntrax Nectar.  I love it.  My favorites are Twisted Cherry, Crystal Sky, Roadside Lemonade and Chocolate Truffle.  I mix mine with water, but I'm not on liquids only.  I usually mix one scoop with 16oz of water and a pack of Crystal Light.  The only one I don't do that with is the Chocolate.  I love the chocolate in some chocolate pudding and cheesecake pudding.  I usually have protein pudding for breakfast instead of a shake and then a shake for lunch.  Then, I eat a sensible high protein dinner.  

If you're going to mix with milk I would do skim milk.  I think, I'm sure someone else would know, that the other milks have more sugar in them.  I also KNOW they have more calories and obviously fat. 

Good luck with your surgery!  It's not that far away at all.
steve D.
on 4/5/11 1:28 am - West Fargo, ND
Samples is a great way to go to find ones you might like.  HOWEVER...Your tastes may change AFTER surgery and what you like before you may not like after and what you did not like before, you might like.

So, be patient and drink what you like now but be ready to find others you may like.

I really like some of the syntrax flavors, but I can drink just about anything.

Good Luck
Steve

brwneyz
on 4/5/11 1:34 am
This is my favorite.  There are about 4 chocolate flavors, plus other flavors.  I was worried about buying it in such a large amount at first, but the guy at GNC said if you don't like the flavor you can return it.  I have loved this flavor pre and post op.
http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3267268&cp=35 93187.2108294
Wife to Lawrence since July 4, 2003.
Nathan June 16, 2005   Haylee October 7, 2009  
Getting help so I can live long with him and raise them to be the best they can be!                

Pam T.
on 4/5/11 1:52 am - Saginaw, MI
 Samples! Samples! Samples! Don't buy big tubs of protein powder unless you know for sure you'll like the taste. Your tastes will change after surgery, so what you like now might not be the same afterward. I'll copy/paste a list of places to find samples - both locally and online -- I recommend you get a bunch and use those in the weeks after surgery as you experiment and find what works for you.

As for milk. Remember that it is common to become lactose intolerant after RNY, so proceed with caution. Both my mom and sister became lactose intolerant after surgery so I was too chicken to do real milk and I did soy milk for the first 4 months after surgery. Thankfully milk and I are friends now and I drink normal skim milk. 

----------------
http://pamtremble.blogspot.com/2009/04/protein-trying-sample s.html

So where do you get samples? There are online and local resources ... so do some digging to find as many as you can.   ONLINE SOURCES - here's a list of the most common sources for buying variety packs or individual flavors ... getting several different brands and flavors all in one place.
  • Enjoy Health -- I started my experimentation with the big sampler pack
  • Netrition -- They also have a variety pack of samples
  • Bariatric Eating -- Susan Marie sells individual flavors ala carte or a protein starter kit
  • Vitalady -- Michelle sells individual flavors ala carte
  • Nashua Nutrition -- Many different brands available ala carte
INDIVIDUAL MANUFACTURERS - some companies MAY give free samples or offer them for a nominal fee, but you have to contact each brand individually. Here are a few that I know of: LOCAL SOURCES -- sometimes you just want to have easier access to protein than having to order online. Here are some local sources for getting samples:
  • GNC -- they sell a couple different flavors of their most popular brands. They also sometimes have free samples under the counter, just have to ask.
  • Health Food Stores -- if you've got a large health food store in your area, they may have samples of generic whey or soy protein. Many people say they have found unflavored whey protein in bulk at their health food store.
  • Support Group Members -- ask each member of your support group to bring a scoop of their favorite flavor to share.
  • Body Fortress Protein -- this is the brand I've settled on - not because it is all that much better tasting than anything else - but because it's convenient to pick up at Walmart or Target. And it's cheap. They don't sell samples either. But a whole 2lb jar is only around $15 (about half what others usually run). So I'm listing this here because it's the one big jar of protein that you can buy and try and not be out a lot of money.
So if you are having problems finding a protein powder that tastes good to you, get some samples. And even if a flavor doesn't sound good to you, try it anyway. One of my favorite flavors right after surgery was cookies-n-cream -- which was not something I would have picked pre-op. You never know what will taste good to you after surgery, so try 'em all.

Edited to add: I just found another great list from Miss Mary Mac's blog on finding protein samples. Some of our information overlaps, but she's also got more that I hadn't heard of before. Check out her list here.

~Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Mary C.
on 4/5/11 2:03 am - Glovertown, Canada
I agree - samples, samples and more samples. Having said that - I still don't and never did include protein drinks in my diet plan. Skim milk - YEP!!! Still drink my share of it. I use protein bars to make sure I have enough protein and energy in me prior to starting each 12hr shift. Shift changeover / getting patient report (unless all hell breaks loose), generally gives me enough time to have a protein bar.

Jodi H.
on 4/5/11 3:23 am - Apache Junction, AZ
You can also request FREE samples at www.celebratevitamins.com as I just discovered!  It's specifically for bariatric patients.

Jodi ** HW: 240 / CW: 221 / GW: 135
1Haute Diva
on 4/5/11 3:40 am - Fort Stewart, GA
RNY on 03/20/12
Thanks for sharing this!!!  I just went to the site and placed my request for samples.
- Shaw

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 167 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 248 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 303 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 262 views