Hunger is NOT uncontrollable...

Cleopatra_Nik
on 4/7/11 2:41 am - Baltimore, MD
First, I'm not calling anyone specific out or anything. This is a piece of knowledge I've gained in the last year or so that I thought I'd share with you.

But in reality, I see a lot of folks refer to hunger and cravings as if they are some unwieldy beast over which they have no control. That's not true. You can control your hunger. To a certain extent, you can even control your cravings. You just need to pay attention to yourself.

There are certain things we KNOW make us hungrier faster - eating refined carbs, for instance. There are other things that are more subtle. Like if you are a year out and trying to eat like a new post op. You will likely get hungrier more often because you aren't eating enough at a sitting. It's hard to tell how much you should eat, I know. My new NUT has done WONDERS for my perception of my portions but before she came I was lost.

Nowadays I eat until I am satisfied. I should say that it took some work to identify satisfied because my mind and my body have two different conceptions. I'll be honest. I go with my mind. My mind has greater control over my behavior than my body does. Thankfully my  mind's threshold is relatively close to my body's and occurs WAY before the point where I'd get sick or overstuffed.

I also want to mention that over time your beloved eating schedule may need to change. I don't know why so don't ask me! But for some reason and for some people the schedule they've always used simply doesn't work anymore. Maybe you ate a light breakfast and then had something heartier later in the morning but now you're finding you're starving well before that snack. Those are signals, people. Heed them and make the necessary changes!

So often we regard hunger as the enemy...or as a sign of some failure of will power. Hunger...true physical hunger...is a signal that we need to eat. That's it, that's all. Determining physical from head hunger? That can only come from observation. For me, nine times out of ten if I am tricked into thinking head hunger is physical hunger (which really, is me usually deluding myself but that's a whole other post) it doesn't take but a bite or two for my pouch to clarify that.

You can also control your hunger by controlling how much and when you drink. I don't necessarily advise anyone to do what I do but I know that if I drink any less than 90 minutes after eating, I'll get hungry again before my next planned meal time. Now once I start drinking, I get in as much as I can until it is time to eat again so I'm getting my proper liquid amounts. I don't know what works for you, but figure it out! Thirst can sometimes come across as hunger. Strange, but true.

Lastly, I'd like to say...and I've said this before (there is even a post on it), hunger is NOT an emergency. Sure, you should have a good choice with you while you're out and about just in case meal time comes and you're nowhere near your kitchen, but if you are hungry on your drive home, that's not an emergency. You DON'T need to stop at a drive-through. If you are just a bit hungry during a time when you aren't supposed to be eating (and you've already had enough to eat) that's NOT an emergency. A cause to take note? Yes. Emergency? No.

Like I said, these are simply my learnings but I hope that they help some of you to see that YOU are driving the ship here, not hunger. You have the power.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

gbsinsatx
on 4/7/11 2:53 am - San Antonio, TX
 Amen sista! We are in control, not our body. We need to be in touch with who we are, what motivates us, and what triggers behavior that is not beneficial to us. In this day and age we are preached to by media outlets that we are entitled to..., we deserve..., etc. I say WTH-stop whining and take care of yourself-you are your own best cheerleader and pilot in this journey called life.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

siberiancat
on 4/7/11 2:55 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
Kudos.  Well said.  I've learned some of what you said - still learning on some of it.  I just keep learning day by day.  I love this journey!!
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Bobbie D.
on 4/7/11 3:15 am
Well Nik - I can truly say, you are talking about ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You make this control thing sound so easy. For me, it's not. I am an intelligent person and know rules and right from wrong etc. I have still not been able to get control over the maniacal beast in me that can't ignore the plate of goodies someone brought in. I don't know what's wrong with me.

Thanks for the reminder that I need to keep myself aware of this problem so maybe someday I can beat it with a big stick.

Cleopatra_Nik
on 4/7/11 3:28 am - Baltimore, MD

See, that’s why I denoted the difference between cravings, head hunger and physical hunger. Physical hunger is not an uncontrollable beast, nor are cravings or head hunger once you learn some strategic behavior.

Like my job is FAMOUS for leaving stuff in the kitchen with a note that says “please enjoy!" Um…no. On days  like that I only go to the kitchen when I absolutely need to and I only go in with a plan. I say, “Nik….go get a cup of tea, four packets of Splenda and get the HELL outta dodge!"

Thankfully most folks at my job are health conscious. They don’t set out candy jars and what not. And candy isn’t my trigger. Chips are. But when in a chip situation, I simply allow myself a set amount…and then get the hell outta dodge (do you see a theme here?)

Eventually you get to the place where you are capable of existing in a room with your trigger food without going bat**** (it’s not easy, but do-able) but at first, sometimes it’s either the food goes or you do. Sadly, most often it’s you who has to go.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

Pam T.
on 4/7/11 3:22 am - Saginaw, MI

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Angie H.
on 4/7/11 4:01 am - Brooklet, GA
Nik,
Great post as always. I have come to realize that if I stay busy (outside working in yards or inside cleaning) on the weekends I don't even realize I am hungry. I have to make myself remember to eat. When I do sit down to eat, I can really tell I am hungry because everything tastes so good. I have to watch it and not eat so fast. I hope the true "hunger pangs" never return. It is so much easier to control without them. I was in the "habit" of eating and even put myself on a schedule early out but now I just kinda eat around meal times and a snack every now and then. It surprises me sometimes how little I eat during the day. On the other side of the spectrum, it surprises me how much I can eat some days. I seem to have endless pouch days like every 3rd day. Weird stuff, huh?

cptprkchp
on 4/7/11 4:11 am
Absolutely.  Feelings are not fact.  *Or, at least, I keep telling myself that everytime I walk by the cadbury eggs.  DAMN THOSE THINGS.
Cleopatra_Nik
on 4/7/11 4:19 am - Baltimore, MD
DAMN THEM ALL TO HELL!!! LOL!

Lady Lithia
on 4/7/11 4:27 am
"Examine your Feelings" said Yoda to Luke Skywalker

A truthful statement if ever I heard one.... (maybe I'll watch those tomorrow!)

I think that one of the biggest and most important parts of this journey is figuring out your signals, and gaining control over them. There are two possible reactions to hunger... to eat or not to eat.

LEARN from your signals, and you get POWER over them.... I loooove having power.

(says the person who's been eating out of boredom for a month!)

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 437 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 392 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 430 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?