Can we Talk?

Angie H.
on 4/11/11 1:46 am - Brooklet, GA

So, today is one of those days where I need a little pep talk. I am feeling a little down today. I am about 9.5 months out from surgery and feel wonderful most of the time. I am wearing a size 12 with plenty of room and take no more meds for diabetes or high blood pressure. I have lost 64 pounds. I have even broken the stall from hell and am now losing a pound here and there every couple of weeks.

Why do I feel depressed? Why do I compare myself and my weightloss to those I know who are only 4 months out and have already lost 100 pounds?

Most of the time I can step away from myself and see how far I have come and snap myself back into reality and be happy and even proud of how far I have come, not only in weightloss but in the whole control and food addiction thing, but today is just one of those days where I feel the need for support.

I wonder if the medication I take for depression is absorbing correctly? I wonder if my hormones are still raging? I had a hysterectomy 5 years ago and take no HT because the antidepression drugs seemed to work well at keeping the symptoms of menopause at bay.

Any advice? Any suggestions?

Heck, it is spring time here in Georgia and the azealeas are blooming and the grass is growing and the animals are happy. Why can't I be?

nfarris79
on 4/11/11 1:55 am - Germantown, MD
 Remember that those 64 lbs are ones you may not have lost without the surgery and the important thing is sustaining that loss - where other diets have failed! Also, those with 100lbs lost may have had a lot more to lose from the get-go. So comparing apples to oranges is not fair to do to yourself.

I'd talk to your pdoc, surgeon, or PCP about your antidepressants, as you may need to adjust dosage if you're not absorbing well.

Allow yourself some down days but if it becomes a pattern or keeps you from enjoying/doing things, maybe consider adding therapy too?

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Koko10
on 4/11/11 2:06 am - NC
I don't think it's you at all. I think a few of us are going through the "what about me stage", me included. I'm praying that it passes soon. I will include you in those prayers. Congratulations on your 64 lbs!

Height 5'0 HW-247; SW- 238; GW-140  

ithadtobekansas
on 4/11/11 2:11 am - Killeen, TX
Congratulations on coming so far in your weightloss journey! We had surgery on the same day! Woot - and just to make a point...we are about the same amount of weight away from our goal. The more we have to loose the faster it goes early on, since December I have been stalling out at somewhere between 7-9 lbs a month. that is with not loosing for several weeks at a time, then dropping some.. you get the idea. Anyhow, I understand the feeling of depression. Since I had the surgery I was diagnosed with bipolar cyclothymia and it has not been a joyride. The docs have been playing around quite a bit to figure out which meds have the most impact. Lots of them are now available as soluble or in liquid form which we absorb betetr, or so I am told.  Despite all the weight I have lost and the much betetr quality of life, I still fall into the deep incapacitating holes for days at a time. Talk to your doc and really consider therapy. It has helped me tremedously along the way - simple things, like exercise, getting plenty of sleep... make a huge difference and I never would have thought of them having such an impact without the psychs help. What I am trying to say... hang in there...you are not alone...weightloss is unfortunately not a miracle cure to all our issues...and again...BE PROUD for having accomplished so much since last June!

Nothing changes overnight.               
Angie H.
on 4/11/11 2:19 am - Brooklet, GA
Thank you!
Bucketta
on 4/11/11 2:12 am
 I understand where you are coming from, my surgery was Jan. 24th of this year.  I have lost right at 30 lbs.  I have lost nothing for the last two months.  Every thing I lost, I lost while in the hospital, was there 11 days.  

I use to suffer from major depression and Spring was always my worse time.  Why?  I think it was because everything was blooming and new and I felt all washed out and old.  Sounds silly and I am sure that is not a good example of how I felt but I hated Spring.  

Like was said previously don't compare yourself to others, it is hard I know, but we all lose at a different rate.  I was a revision from a failed lapband and I don't think I am going to do well with this surgery either and I have done nothing but try.  

Keep your chin up you have done awesome.

Jacqueline 
 RNY 1/24/11

2tired2befat
on 4/11/11 2:13 am - Spring Hill, TN
I'm struggling today too and don't have much advice to offer you.  I just wanted to show my support with a hug .  This too shall pass and we still have plenty of time to make our goal. 

Best Regards,
April

Angie H.
on 4/11/11 2:22 am - Brooklet, GA

I have been following you in your journey and you and I have so mu*****ommon. We WILL make it!! I know we will!

Angie H.
on 4/11/11 2:16 am - Brooklet, GA
Thank you, I feel so stupid sometimes when I whine but it is so real. Why do we continue to think we are not "good enough"? I don't feel this way all the time but when I do it helps to know I am not the only one in the world who has pity parties.

So Crazy!!!!

I want chocolate!!

Wait, control thing.... I do have control!
birthdaygirl
on 4/11/11 4:11 am - Lithonia, GA
On April 11, 2011 at 9:16 AM Pacific Time, Angie H. wrote:
Thank you, I feel so stupid sometimes when I whine but it is so real. Why do we continue to think we are not "good enough"? I don't feel this way all the time but when I do it helps to know I am not the only one in the world who has pity parties.

So Crazy!!!!

I want chocolate!!

Wait, control thing.... I do have control!

I am 2.5 years out this month and I still through an occasional pity party.......no one comes but me though!

It is a part of the journey and will get better.....I don't think I would like it if I was "chipper" all the time! and we have a lot to get through!

If you want a small piece of chocolate, have it because dark chocolate is good for the blue mood and has anti-oxidants...this is a journey not a diet and all will be well!

Oh by the way......I am fairly new to GA...where is Brooklet....what county is that in? how far are you from Atlanta...i am from Chicago and have been here 6 years next month....Hi Neighbor!

HW/293....SW/276....PSW/168....CW/148...GW/150  
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 457 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?