RNY versus sleeve

litehsemom
on 4/16/11 11:48 pm - Kenosha, WI
I have to make the decision soon as to whether I am going to have the RNY or the sleeve.  With my numerous medical issues, diabetes, high blood pressure, asthma, and neuropathy, I feel I should have the RNY. I am so afraid of problems later because I am a cash pay.  I'd greatly appreciate input.
seattledeb
on 4/16/11 11:56 pm
Well if you are cash pay you have a lot of options. The sleeve,DS, and the Rny.
Does the sleeve do anything with stopping the diabetes? I know the DS and Rny both do.
What is about these 2 surgeries that you like? that you don't like?
Deb T.

poet_kelly
on 4/17/11 12:05 am - OH
It's my understanding that RNY or  DS will be more helpful for diabetes.  If taking NSAIDS is important to you, I'd look at DS.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

AliSarah
on 4/17/11 2:53 am
What are you taking for neuropathy?? That is really painful isn't it? It is important to look at your life and lifestyle and choose the surgery that is right for you in the short term and long term. DS would allow you to take NSAIDS and solve your diabetes problem also probably. The sleeve doesn't cure diabetes but generally weight loss does. SO, you "could" have the same benefit with the sleeve but you'll have to be much more diligent about your diet and such with a sleeve because regain will mean relapse into diabetes again... SO, can you wait for your diabetes to go away? Will you eat carefully for the rest of your life to keep diabetes at bay? These are questions only you can answer! RNY is a great surgery too. It's really important that you choose the one that is best for you!!

Huggles!!
~Sarah~
 HW 316/ SW 264/ CW 187/ GW 158  
Lady Lithia
on 4/17/11 2:59 am

I think neuropathy drugs like gabapentin are completely acceptible in the RNY gut....they aren't NSAIDS....

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

AliSarah
on 4/17/11 3:01 am
Oh! That's good!! :D 

I have a friend with neuropathy and she takes pain meds for it, but I wasn't sure if they were NSAIDS or not...

Huggles!!
~Sarah~

HW 316/ SW 264/ CW 187/ GW 158  
Lady Lithia
on 4/17/11 3:09 am
I only knew becaause I was put on a neoropathy drug in case my tailbone issue was neuropathy (even though I'd just fallen and broken the darn thing and my MRI showed inflammation... idiot doctors)

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 346 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 308 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?